The all in one consolidated RIP thread Page 62

Chester Barnes, age 74. One time Table Tennis champion and, latterly, assistant to champion racehorse trainer, Martin Pipe.

Was he related to Chester Drawers?

(I know - go on groan) Pleased

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 19th March 2021, 1:55 PM

Chester Barnes, age 74. One time Table Tennis champion and, latterly, assistant to champion racehorse trainer, Martin Pipe.

I seem to remember seeing him playing a demonstration game at my Dad's office in the 60s or 70s.

Quote: Chappers @ 19th March 2021, 6:00 PM

I seem to remember seeing him playing a demonstration game at my Dad's office in the 60s or 70s.

That's why I posted the news of his demise. Thought you might be interested:

Quote: Chappers @ 22nd January 2017, 9:34 PM

Anyone remember Chester Barnes? He was the top British player in the 1970s and I saw him at an exhibition match once.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 19th March 2021, 7:08 PM

That's why I posted the news of his demise. Thought you might be interested:

You have got a long memory!

Where did I post that?

Peter Lorimer RIP
Never a big fan of Leeds but they had some really good players at one time and he was one of them.

Quote: john tregorran @ 20th March 2021, 8:59 PM

Peter Lorimer RIP
Never a big fan of Leeds but they had some really good players at one time and he was one of them.

One of the less dirty ones.

Quote: john tregorran @ 20th March 2021, 8:59 PM

Quote: Chappers @ 20th March 2021, 10:03 PM

One of the less dirty ones.

Awomen to that. F**king Revie and his mob.

Frank Worthington RIP
(Especially for Lofty)

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 21st March 2021, 8:54 AM

Awomen to that. F**king Revie and his mob.

Yes, the greatest team that walked the earth, or one of them. I still remember the weekly scorelines coming in around 74 at their peak, it seemed to be 4-0 or 4-1 every week. I expect this current Man City team have surpassed that now, but that Leeds team dominated. RIP Lorimer, Cherry, Charlton, Hunter from that team who've all passed away recently.

I used to go to every match in that era - a now largely forgotten era of football.
Standing only, with leaning barriers. Barriers that crushed you as the waves of bodies ebbed and flowed when a goal was scored.
The standard uniform was Levi jacket and jeans with a white rose sewn on the jacket. And of course, 14 eye Dr Martens boots.
The police on horseback corralled you into and out of the ground and were not shy in using their extended batons.
There were always a few fans with blood streaming down their faces having received a clonk from above.

One night in my local pub, Peter Lorimer and Norman Hunter walked in and stood next to me at the bar.
I was too star struck to speak to them.
They ordered two pints of Teteley bitter. I could hardly believe that two of my hero's drank common mans ale.

RIP Peter.

:) Wonderful. Tetley still a good brew, hopefully you still have it up there, don't see it down here as much now. Those were the days players drank beer and weren't treated like schoolkids by their coaches, and they did mingle with the fans. A similar thing happened with my mum & dad, they were in a restaurant bar in Roundhay one night when a few Leeds players were in. They brought us back Billy Bremner and Gordon McQueen's autographs. Still got mine somewhere. Ah the 70s.

I spent the 70s supporting Ipswich when they were at their peak, and so the Worthington goal is bitter sweet. (RIP though)

I was in the photographic trade then, and we used to supply and maintain the cameras for the local rag (and nearly all the local companies that had photo departments), and one of the perks was getting into the ground FOC with the sports photographer as his "assistant" by carrying his gadget bag :D. Then, you would sit on a leather cushion, on the grass that the club supplied, just behind the goal.

In the Ipswich/Barcelona 1977 UEFA match, Cruyff had a shot a goal that missed and was heading straight for me. I stuck my foot up to stop it, and my God did that sting! After the match I rushed home to see the highlights and me on'telly, but that bit was cut. :(

The late 70s Ipswich team were a cracking squad..........................where did it all go wrong.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 24th March 2021, 9:17 AM

The late 70s Ipswich team were a cracking squad..........................where did it all go wrong.

Robson left to manage England. Revie, Robson, Clough all great English coaches who transformed their clubs' fortunes. You can't do that now without being owned by foreign billionaires.

When last the pubs were open - there was plenty of Tetley pubs up here but in the meantime I always have a box of Tetley's smooth cans in the fridge. As near as you can get to draught.

In these days, when you can freeze frame any program, I can pick myself out in the Leeds United crowd behind goal when they show old matches.
I had a shock of blonde, nearly white hair (from a bottle) This peroxide had mixed effects.
It was very rare for a man to dye his hair in those days unless you were... - you know.
My boss nearly sacked me saying I can't go to his customers looking like that.
But on the other-hand, it attracted the girls. I had to knock them off with a stick hehe.
Great times.