I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,278

Yes it is sad t watch the demise of an elderly loved one, my wifes mum had the fire brigade out yesterday after she forgot she was grilling bacon, the silent alarm in her sheltered accommodation did the job though and the Fire Brigade were there though in minutes and there wasn't even any smoke damage etc, But it was yet another wake up call :(

Have you had any luck at Cheltenham Ste? I'm breaking even going into the last day which is something I suppose.

Biden seems fine. Not at his peak but easily as compo mentis as the last inhabitant of the White House, who elevated saying stupid things that made no sense (and could equally be argued as dementia) to an artform.

It's also worth remembering that Ronald Reagan was widely ridiculed as a senile old duffer in the eighties, yet is probably the most fondly remembered Republican president in living memory.

Quote: chipolata @ 18th March 2021, 9:43 AM

somebody who lives on a diet of conspiracy theories and alt-right propaganda and is pre-disposed to believe everything they're fed.

Of course everyone necessarily believes what they are fed, whether it is the moon landings, JFK assassination, Paul McCartney's "death", 5G masts, vaccinations... It is just that some believe what they are fed from one source and some believe what they are fed by another.

Go get 'im Floyd :)

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 19th March 2021, 8:59 AM

Have you had any luck at Cheltenham Ste? I'm breaking even going into the last day which is something I suppose.

I'm definitely up - had some good touches this week.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 19th March 2021, 9:55 AM

Of course everyone necessarily believes what they are fed,

Not really. You can look beyond the theory to see what evidence they're backing it up with, and the quality of that evidence. I try to do that, although I'm human and can be as guilty as the next man of lazy prejudiced thinking.

Riddle me this :-

More Yank Woke perverse tomfoolery?**

So all actors/actresses are now actors, so why do the Oscars still have a Best Actress award?

I see the BAFTA's still have Best Actress too, but Baaaa follow Old Glory.

** Come to think of it - why do they (and we Baaaa) call women, guys?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 19th March 2021, 3:53 PM

Riddle me this :-

More Yank Woke perverse tomfoolery?**

So all actors/actresses are now actors, so why do the Oscars still have a Best Actress award?

I see the BAFTA's still have Best Actress too, ?

I believe, when women in England were first allowed to perform in plays, the respectable ones were known as 'actors' with the term 'actress' being reserved for women who earned their livings partly on the stage and partly on the game.

Be that as it may, the term 'actress' must soon disappear because the whole industry realises it won't be long before a non-binary performer puts in a stellar acting performance and, as things stand, can't be nominated either as an actor OR an actress.

Well done Ste it's nice to see a bit of brass going the right way over the counter.

Quote: alison blunderland @ 19th March 2021, 5:02 PM

I believe, when women in England were first allowed to perform in plays, the respectable ones were known as 'actors' with the term 'actress' being reserved for women who earned their livings partly on the stage and partly on the game.

Be that as it may, the term 'actress' must soon disappear because the whole industry realises it won't be long before a non-binary performer puts in a stellar acting performance and, as things stand, can't be nominated either as an actor OR an actress.

Awomen to that

I'm not her greatest fan but I think that the fish woman is being baited.

This is one thing that really pisses me off.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-56468719

Feral youths who have no respect for anybody else whose parents - if there are any - have raised thugs and vandals.

If you think you are having a bad day.

"Devastated couple's home floats away on their wedding day in NSW floods" https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-21/nsw-weather-event-sweeps-away-couples-home-on-wedding-day/13264610

In potential forthcoming news Robert Kenrick is suspected to announce mid week that the government will be taking over control of Liverpool council after the Mayor Joe Anderson was led out of his office by the police with a coat over his head.
Known locally as 'Chippy Tits' due to his portly disposition, Big Joe is is suspected of being in cahoots with developers and Derek Hatton.
So it will be interesting to see what happens if they do take control. On one hand it could be like an Ealing comedy were the Tories give us everything we need forcing labour to offer even more till there is leisure centre on the corner of every street and we get free cable.
Or it could become very very controversial and following serious rioting could lead to the formation of the SNP (Scouse Nit Pickers) that finally gets us the independence we have sought for years.

Hatton the Trot bringing new meaning to "property is theft" :)