Things that piss you off Page 1,802

And actually - Fall was originally English - the pilgrims took it over there and kept it, whilst we moved on to the harder to spell version - which in turn, comes from Latin vie the French. Of course, we used to call Autumn '"harvest" - which comes from the German.
Don't you just hate foreign words.

I understand the roll that using correct spelling and grammar can play in imparting information accurately, but that aside, No one owns a language. It is a living. ever changing entity. you only have to read a little Shakespeare to see how it has changed in spelling and meaning. Shakespeare, famously, deliberately invented new words.

https://www.litcharts.com/blog/shakespeare/words-shakespeare-invented/

It always strikes me as Canute like when people try to halt the fluid, organic nature of language. Todays rules are just as transient, spellings like meanings will continue to change over time. This is a good thing, and it has always been thus.

Quote: Lazzard @ 20th March 2021, 9:53 AM

Well, aren't you lucky, if that's all you have to worry about.
Might I suggest a sense of perspective?

Aren't I just. But hey, let's all not give a f**k and let everyone bastardise the English language.

And aren't you lucky that nothing pisses you off - I wish I was so uncaring.

I love how they call baseball the 'world' series!

When did Portugal last win it?

Quote: lofthouse @ 20th March 2021, 11:35 AM

I love how they call baseball the 'world' series!

When did Portugal last win it?

That

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 20th March 2021, 11:32 AM

I wish I was so uncaring.

You REALLY don't want to start me on what pisses me off.Pirate

Oh we do.
We need a laugh.

Quote: chipolata @ 20th March 2021, 10:27 AM

It makes more sense to call a series a season. It helps us sell our tv shows abroad in Brexit Britain, and when alll the seasons have finished we can collect them altogether and call them a series.

And yes, I'm looking forward to season 6 of Line of Duty.

There are only Four Seasons - Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter ... oh well 8 with Frankie Valli and.

Quote: Lazzard @ 20th March 2021, 11:15 AM

And actually - Fall was originally English -

Mark E Smith and his legions of bandmates.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 20th March 2021, 12:20 AM

F**king Graham Norton said "season" at the weekend about a British series, and then casual as you like spoke of people's Mom! Why doesn't he just be bollocking done with it and speak with an American accent. C**t. Angry

What really annoys me about Norton is saying things like "yumour", "Yuge" and ""Yuman".

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 20th March 2021, 2:02 PM

Oh we do.
We need a laugh.

Well, this is certainly laughable.

£2.6 million.

Quote: Lazzard @ 20th March 2021, 2:38 PM

Well, this is certainly laughable.

£2.6 million.

I almost feel sorry for the Union Jack. It gets wheeled out and forced against it's will to be a prop for any old morally bankrupt toss.

Quote: Lazzard @ 20th March 2021, 12:29 PM

You REALLY don't want to start me on what pisses me off.Pirate

Ooo, bit of sabre rattling there, or was that a threat? Should I hit the Report button?

By the way, I did forget to mention earlier that "Haitch" is a bugbear of Stephen Fry, as he's gone on about it several times (not just me then), and I'm wondering if you will be using some of your showbiz contacts to tell Stephen to "Get a life"
Yes/No?

Don't be a twit, Herc.
if you expect to accuse someone you don't know of being 'uncaring' and NOT get some kickback, dream on. I thought I'd been pretty gentle.
And Stephen Fry, whilst erudite beyond belief - is also bit of a prig.
The 'haitch' thing is just looking down your nose at people - pure and simple.

Quote: Lazzard @ 20th March 2021, 3:10 PM

Don't be a twit, Herc.
It takes one to know one.
if you expect to accuse someone you don't know of being 'uncaring' and NOT get some kickback, dream on. I thought I'd been pretty gentle.
And Stephen Fry, whilst erudite beyond belief - is also bit of a prig.
The 'haitch' thing is just looking down your nose at people - pure and simple
Bollocks, nothing of the sort

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 20th March 2021, 5:56 AM

The main annoyance is "season", when we have had for years a perfectly, and correct term of "series". The "mom" was just thrown in for good measure, and I'm sure I've heard him say "mum".

I'm sick and tired of Americanisms creeping into the English language - I don't see anything wrong with that, or bizarre FFS.
Angry
Dave and I have a perfect right to an opinion on this matter, and will continue to do so. Norton lives in England and could at least respect the English language. As a chat show host he is excellent, no doubt and I enjoy his show, but things like that, and saying "Haitch" for "Aitch" (started in Eire I believe) are f**king annoying!

Bejaysus, top 'o the marnin' to yer.

"Norton lives in England and could at least respect the English language" Laughing out loud

is as comical as it is offensive. It would be funny if you were saying it with some humour but you don't have any humour so it just comes across as bitter and out of touch.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 20th March 2021, 3:33 PM

I have no wish to pursue this with you, as I've been advised not to rise to your bait.

For some reason, you took against me about 2 months ago. I offered an olive leaf, but you ignored me, so that's an end to it as far as I am concerned.

You can stew in your own ignorance.