Things that piss you off Page 1,801

Quote: paulted @ 15th March 2021, 10:19 PM

Its as if Shakin Stevens, New Seekers, and Peters and Lee never happened.

:O You wash your mouth out.

A friend once asked my wife if she liked Shakin Stevens

Steven? That's a funny name to call your willy.

Quote: John Garrett @ 19th March 2021, 10:35 AM

Spam post removed

I spent over 50 years doing up houses, moving from one project to the next and enjoyed every minute of it, from installing a complete heating system in a 5 bedroom old rectory to full OTT rewire of a fab 3 bed Edwardian bay windowed detached and everything in between - you name it I had a go at it, and if it's a chore, then get someone else into do it.

The main idea, for me, is not so much saving money, but the sheer enjoyment when it's all done and you can stand back and admire your work.

I was, though, never any good at carpentry. You need the patience to do it well, and that's something I never had, so always got a carpenter in, and they got my full admiration of their skills. I did pick up tips though, LIKE ALWAYS measure twice, cut once.

Too old to do it all now, sadly. :(

The presenter on Radio Surrey this morning talked about Season 6 of Line of Duty.

I sent her a text admonishing her saying she isn't American and that it's SERIES 6. She acknowledged my text on air and apologised.

Quote: Chappers @ 19th March 2021, 7:30 PM

The presenter on Radio Surrey this morning talked about Season 6 of Line of Duty.

I sent her a text admonishing her saying she isn't American and that it's SERIES 6. She acknowledged my text on air and apologised.

Well done Dave!!! Result - Good man!! :)

F**king Graham Norton said "season" at the weekend about a British series, and then casual as you like spoke of people's Mom! Why doesn't he just be bollocking done with it and speak with an American accent. C**t. Angry

Laughing out loud

What did the police say? The dislike of Americanisms to the point of calling in to a radio show to complain about the DJs terminology even in jest seems less patriotic, more xenophobic. Just think of Americanisms as part of a wider English dialect.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 20th March 2021, 12:20 AM

Well done Dave!!! Result - Good man!! :)

F**king Graham Norton said "season" at the weekend about a British series, and then casual as you like spoke of people's Mom! Why doesn't he just be bollocking done with it and speak with an American accent. C**t. Angry

Mom is a common term for mother in Ireland and Graham Norton is Irish but don't let that stop this bizarre hatred you have of anything American. Anything that needs to be preserved in the English language will I'm sure be taken care of without the need of you calling a TV presenter a c**t and a stern text to a radio show.

Is Graham still a c**t for using the word mom even though it was in an Irish context? Being Irish myself I'm interested to know.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 20th March 2021, 1:33 AM

Mom is a common term for mother in Ireland and Graham Norton is Irish but don't let that stop this bizarre hatred you have of anything American. Anything that needs to be preserved in the English language will I'm sure be taken care of without the need of you calling a TV presenter a c**t and a stern text to a radio show.

Is Graham still a c**t for using the word mom even though it was in an Irish context? Being Irish myself I'm interested to know.

The main annoyance is "season", when we have had for years a perfectly, and correct term of "series". The "mom" was just thrown in for good measure, and I'm sure I've heard him say "mum".

I'm sick and tired of Americanisms creeping into the English language - I don't see anything wrong with that, or bizarre FFS.
Angry
Dave and I have a perfect right to an opinion on this matter, and will continue to do so. Norton lives in England and could at least respect the English language. As a chat show host he is excellent, no doubt and I enjoy his show, but things like that, and saying "Haitch" for "Aitch" (started in Eire I believe) are f**king annoying!

Bejaysus, top 'o the marnin' to yer.

Settle down y'all

It always cracks me up when people say the French are racist for trying to stave off Americanisms... Then Americans demand everyone speaks their horrible English and that's fine.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 20th March 2021, 5:56 AM

... things like that, and saying "Haitch" for "Aitch" (started in Eire I believe) are f**king annoying!

Well, aren't you lucky, if that's all you have to worry about.
Might I suggest a sense of perspective?

It makes more sense to call a series a season. It helps us sell our tv shows abroad in Brexit Britain, and when alll the seasons have finished we can collect them altogether and call them a series.

And yes, I'm looking forward to season 6 of Line of Duty.

It pisses me off when even now people say New Order are just a shit Joy Division rip-off. Joy Division were total and utter f**king shit too. F**k you Ian, you boring, self-obessessed, Nazi, limp-wristed, two-timing, thinks-he's-f**king-T-S-Eliot little shit.

My favourite American season is the fall, as it's like our Autumn only easier to spell.