You're Only Young Twice

Did anyone else watch You're Only Young Twice? Set in Paradise Lodge Retirement Home, with Peggy Mount - Flora Petty and Pat Coombs - Cissie Lupin?

I've been watching it on DVD recently; some of it's a bit dull, but Peggy Mount is wonderful and there are some great bits scattered throughout.

Think I'm 2 series in so far, should get to the rest before long.

Wasn't there a fairly dark sitcom set in an old folks home?

Waiting For God?

I'm not sure quite how dark you could call it - it's generally more preposterous than nearing depressing - but yes, that is the setting.

Waiting For God, however, had a bit of a darker streak to it.

I also would not call it dark. Some bits still are funny, and it was good to see Peggy Mount and Pat Coombs on the screen.

Waiting for God yes that's it.

Very funny and had a deceptively serious streak. One of those old school sitcoms that showed:
1 Old people can be funny.
2 Sitcoms can handle tough stuff.
3 Sitcoms can be funny without obsessing on sex.

My uncle met Peggy Mount once; he reckoned that no acting was involved in her on screen performances.

:D

From the Department of Old Thread Revival..........................again.

Just joined my Box-set rotation, and this would be a pretty mundane sitcom if it wasn't for Peggy Mount and Pat Coombs, two of my favourite comedy actresses. They certainly give it some zip.

I oft thought Pat Coombs would have made a great Olive Oyl. :D

Well, series 1 all watched, and fortunately it finished on a high with "Too Many Cooks", as all the other episodes were quite ordinary.

Perhaps it will pick up from now on - maybe they were finding their feet, BUT it's going to be a long while before it comes round again in my rotation.

I found it disappointing

Yes Peggy Mount and Pat Coombs were great

But even they couldn't really save the day with the lame scripts

That

Just finished Series 2, and have to admit I'm struggling with this now as the comedy is lacking and very much like the curate's egg, on top of which there is a distinct shift in the Peggy Mount character from lovable loudmouth to selfish harridan, and it's spoiling the enjoyment.

Oh, I loved it. Thought it got better and better as the series progressed. Maybe dip into the third and see if it changes any?