Coming 2 America

Yes I hate sequels that replace 'to' with '2'. But I fully expected to cringe my way through this. A sequel nobody really wanted or needed, and yet - Eddie Murphy's funniest performance in I don't know how long. Maybe since Bowfinger about twenty years ago? He and Arsenio Hall make a wonderful double act and despite the plot basically being a retread of the original, I laughed all the way through. The barbershop scenes were the highlight for me.

Big fan of the original so will have to check it out. Coming To America was my first experience of African music. I wanted to sing the "She's your queen to be" song at my brother's wedding.

I hope Eddie and Arsenio play lots of different characters like they do in Coming To America.

I wasn't awful
but nor was it necessary

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 5th March 2021, 10:18 PM

Yes I hate sequels that replace 'to' with '2'. But I fully expected to cringe my way through this. A sequel nobody really wanted or needed, and yet - Eddie Murphy's funniest performance in I don't know how long. Maybe since Bowfinger about twenty years ago? .

'Dolemite is my name' is a pretty decent late period Eddie Murphy film

I loved it. Lots of laughs - big ones at that, not mere chuckles - from start to finish. So many brilliant callbacks, reprisals and references. And a range of brilliant new characters too. Possibly the best film sequel I've ever seen. Certainly the best after such a gap.

Arsenio was the particular stand out for me. Why he's not a huge comedy star beggars belief.

I wholeheartedly agree

with Chips comment about Dolemite is my name

Quote: Aaron @ 7th March 2021, 11:08 PM

Arsenio was the particular stand out for me. Why he's not a huge comedy star beggars belief.

I agree, his Netflix special is brilliant.