Carry On... Page 21

Carry on Smoking could have been a good one.A fire station would have been an interesting topic.

Carry on Smoking could have been set in a cancer ward.
Harder to get a laugh, though.

Quote: Lazzard @ 5th March 2021, 11:53 AM

When I first saw the title I did wonder.

Quote: Wheel @ 5th March 2021, 11:04 AM

A fire station would have been an interesting topic.

Shades of Robb Wilton.

could have been set in a cancer ward.

Roy Clarke tried in Hawks. I can barely rember the film, although I'm sure at some point some terminally ill cancer patients probably went down a hill in a bathtub on wheels.

Will Hay did a famous fire station film.It would have been hard to follow that.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 5th March 2021, 6:20 PM

Shades of Robb Wilton.

[/youtube]

Quote: john tregorran @ 5th March 2021, 8:04 PM

Will Hay did a famous fire station film.It would have been hard to follow that.

Um!

Actually one of the first films I saw at the pictures was "Gone to Blazes."

Happy 65th birthday today to the Carry On films. Carry On Sergeant released to cinemas in Aberdeen & Birmingham 31 August 1958 before going on general release across the country on 20 September.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 31st August 2023, 7:17 PM

Carry On Sergeant released to cinemas in Aberdeen & Birmingham 31 August 1958 before going on general release across the country on 20 September.

Do you have a source for this? There are a number of different dates floating around but I've never seen anything really clear as to what was when.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 31st August 2023, 7:17 PM

Happy 65th birthday today to the Carry On films. Carry On Sergeant released to cinemas in Aberdeen & Birmingham 31 August 1958 before going on general release across the country on 20 September.

In those days of course there were only limited numbers of reels of the film and they would move it from town to town after a week or so.

Quote: Aaron @ 31st August 2023, 7:44 PM

Do you have a source for this? There are a number of different dates floating around but I've never seen anything really clear as to what was when.

Nothing that you would consider definitive or irrefutable I'm afraid, no. I picked it up from the Carry On Films Fan Site Facebook page. It is also quoted on artandhue.com https://artandhue.com/65-years-of-carry-on-films/ and, for what it's worth, on Wikipedia.

Aha, I see. Yes. Quite complex a pattern.

I think Carry On England was the worst.
The Carry On films started well, but degenerated into franchising. The first three films were cool, and Bob Monkhouse is a legend. And everyone needs legends. Except Oscar Pistorius, he needs leg ends... Then there was so much shit. Like Pulp.

Columbus was a f**king disaster too. The fact that it included most of The Young Ones is just adding incest to Ian Dury.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 1st September 2023, 11:09 AM

Columbus was a f**king disaster too. The fact that it included most of The Young Ones is just adding incest to Ian Dury.

I'm surprised he wasn't in it, it seemed to have everyone else from the period there. Way too many characters, too twaddly and verbose script with out of place swearing, awful production standard and the very one note Julian Clary, about as worthy a stand in for Kenneth Williams as Dobbin the Donkey for Red Rum.

And I reckon 4 hospital films was enough.

Quote: Chappers @ 4th March 2021, 8:27 PM

In today's Daily Mail "Answers to correspondents" there was a question about working titles of planned Carry on films.

The following never saw the light of day.

Carry on smoking abut the fire service written by Norman Hudis.
Carry on flying about the RAF written by NH.
Carry on Spaceman written by NH scheduled to include Bob Hope and Bing Crosby
Later Bob Monkhouse and Dennis Gifford planned a Spaceman one too.
Carry on Escaping about a POW camp written by Talbot Rothwell.
Carry on again Nurse written by George Layton and Jonathan Lynn.
Carry on Down Under
Carry on Dallas written by Vince Powell.
Carry on Nursing written by NH
Carry on London about a chauffeur company.

Information provided by Robert Ross, author of the carry on companion.

He's left out Carry On Robin, of which I assume some of the scripted scenes they had for that found their way into the Carry On Christmas specials, which weren't too bad, the ones I saw.

How about the humorous 24 hour comings and goings in a busy airport terminal?

Carry on luggage?

I'm here all week folks, except Wednesday when I'm going to see Pulp.