Fawlty Towers Page 15

I remember the scene well because you can see Kurt is holding it in his mouth ready and they keep the same studio audience laughter response to it but I've never see him actually vomit. I'm also not good with that kind of thing fake or real so don't mind that it's missing and in 1975 it was probably a risky move to broadcast something like that. Or maybe the take didn't go as planned but they couldn't re-shoot it so it was cut.

As for animal safety on TV even American Humane has been criticised for failing to ensure animal safety on some film sets and still give certification. The law is that animals should be treated with the same safety consideration as human actors but they are still being killed on film set from accidents or failure to ensure their welfare.

I have the Kes DVD and I can't watch it because of the ending but I like the powerful story and the humorous moments with Brian Glover. I saw the play around 1987 and while it was still sad it was an uplifting experience but the theatre is more involved than television. I still have the theme tune cassette that I bought in the foyer.

I love the squeamishness over this John Cleese scene. Does 'a wafer-thin mint' conjure up any memories?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 4th March 2021, 10:07 AM

Well, I have a weak stomach so remember that scene well, and the chef actor had a mouth of "sick", which he heaved over the plated meal. Sick

I did not know this! How fascinating. Thanks for mentioning it.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 5th March 2021, 7:56 AM

I love the squeamishness over this John Cleese scene. Does 'a wafer-thin mint' conjure up any memories?

It sounds like this was far more (too) realistic. Mr Creosote is clearly, patently cartoonish - and literally impossible.

This is an interesting point. Paradoxically, the more extreme the violence, the funnier (less believable) it is. That's why I hate the nosebleed in the Young Ones.
I saw this Fawlty Towers scene again after many years on the Spanish DVD. I remember thinking it looked edited because the filming was jumpy by their standards and the audience reaction was a tad OTT. Personally I didn't have a problem but censorship has a logic of its own.

Graham Chapman can be seen in The Germans, during fire drill. He's standing at the back with his pipe on show (not a euphemism). He appears uncredited.

From my limited experience of filming, I know that they'll rope in anyone passing by as extras.

I'll bear that in mind next time Melanie C does a video shot.
Late follow up but I'm 99% sure the vom scene has been edited, at least on the Spanish DVD I have. Cool from people who left in the word w*g, but as I said, censors have their own logic. I loved the way the film of Lolita made her slightly older, like that makes it okay, then.
I recently read that Douglas Adams wasn't a big fan of Fawlty Towers cos he said his hero Cleese was just doing another trad shitcom with wonky sets. No acc**ting for taste. This is English for what the f**k.

Quote: Mat Watkinson @ 28th April 2021, 10:12 AM

Graham Chapman can be seen in The Germans, during fire drill. He's standing at the back with his pipe on show (not a euphemism). He appears uncredited.

That's not Graham Chapman, and I don't think for one moment he would be bothered with it.

It's probably clearer in this clip........................

** EDIT - further research reveals him to be Derek Suthern, who had a modest acting career and died in 2012. He was listed as Hotel Guest (uncredited)

Quote: harry fielder @ 25th January 2007, 6:03 PM

The guy on the right is an old mate of mine Derek Suthern.

Aitch,

Perhaps in 2035 someone will ask the same question again.

Sometimes a man smoking a pipe is just a man smoking a pipe.

Maybe Cleese was slyly mocking Graham Chapman by featuring a pipe smoker in the background. In the same way that the pushy American obsessed with Waldorf Salad in another episode could have been a vicious attack on Terry Gilliam.

Quote: chipolata @ 28th April 2021, 3:22 PM

Maybe Cleese was slyly mocking Graham Chapman by featuring a pipe smoker in the background. In the same way that the pushy American obsessed with Waldorf Salad in another episode could have been a vicious attack on Terry Gilliam.

Hmm, good point, BUT if that was the case, why didn't he get someone who at least resembled Terry Gilliam.

Quote: chipolata @ 28th April 2021, 3:22 PM

A tad overinterpretative, especially given that there was very little home recording back then.
I always thought the inflatable doll scene was out of style, but I read on these very forums it was a dig at a journo Who was giving them bad reviews.
Did you know that if you take the words Fawlty Towers, mix the letters up, take some letters away, add some more letters and then mix them up again, it still doesn't spell The Young Ones.