What DVD are you watching? Page 38

Quote: lofthouse @ 28th October 2020, 6:05 PM

Series 1 popped through my letter box yesterday....!

Enjoy it! I love it. Series 1 had some great episodes and classics! Very emotional some episodes of series 1.

Yep think it will be ideal Sunday afternoon viewing

Plus it's got the angry guy off of Tv's The Professionals

Which is a boon

Quote: lofthouse @ 29th October 2020, 3:15 PM

Yep think it will be ideal Sunday afternoon viewing

Plus it's got the angry guy off of Tv's The Professionals

Which is a boon

Gordon Jackson? If you think Gordon Jackson is angry in Professionals, wait until you see how he can be in Upstairs Downstairs at times.

Nice !

Laughing out loud

Haven't had a birthday present yet, so treated myself to the complete set of 5 DVDs of "ABC Nights In" from Network.

I had asked them about a week ago if they would do a discount if I bought all 5, but they reckoned that they were "such a good price", yeah right, they wouldn't knock anything off.

AND NOW I find they charge over £4 delivery. I'm looking forward to watching them, but can't help feeling I've been ripped off.

If you paid about £13 for each one plus the £4 postage that looks like a reasonable price considering how rare they look. Can't see them on CEX or Amazon so if they are sealed and brand new that looks like the best price you're going to get. A little discount or account credit would have been nice but it's not as simple as them just adding a discount like the manager would in a store when they come over to the till with their special manager's till key. The customer service teams are not going to have the ability to apply discounts and most are companies that support multiple websites and have no control over the pricing so the default response is going to be the old chestnut of it's already cutting their own throat. They would have to make phone calls and send emails to make it happen and it's not worth it. There might be other incentives though like discount periods and minimum spend bonuses.

Yup, it came to about £69 all in, but I'm worth it. :D And yes, I did peruse a number of sites for a discounted price, but it looks like Network are selling them exclusive.

It looks like there's some cracking material on them. The other thing I did ask was that the Candid Camera shows (there's one on each disc I think) are different shows on each disc, and they said they were.

They're real treats. You're going to love watching through, H. The adverts alone are a joy.

Thanks Aaron. Am really looking forward to them, and so unusual for them to include the adverts! What a treat! Perhaps now other ITV companies will release more material with the ads. I certainly hope so.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 3rd March 2021, 2:36 PM

Thanks Aaron. Am really looking forward to them, and so unusual for them to include the adverts! What a treat! Perhaps now other ITV companies will release more material with the ads. I certainly hope so.

Very unlikely. I think this is a particular special case, given the nature of these programmed 'Nights In'. I certainly wouldn't want to see them generally, but they're a fascinating taster!

Started watching the ABC TV "Nights In" series of 5 DVDs, and one of the programmes was "Dial 999" TV series with Robert Beatty as a Canadian detective on secondment to Scotland Yard.

This episode was called 50,000 hands - because they fingerprinted an entire town of 25,000 people to find a killer. Can you see everyone cooperating now? Queues of people in the street waiting to have their fingerprints done - I think not.

Anyway, the reason for posting is, it had in it William Hartnell and Bill Fraser as crooks - both of them went on to play the CSM in the "The Army Game". ALSO in it was Patrick Troughton in an uncredited part as a tramp, who of course was the second Doctor Who after William Hartnell.

Just sayin'

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 21st March 2021, 4:19 PM

Started watching the ABC TV "Nights In" series of 5 DVDs, and one of the programmes was "Dial 999" TV series with Robert Beatty as a Canadian detective on secondment to Scotland Yard.

Watched the "Armchair Theatre" episode on the second disc in this set and it was nagging me where I had seen the actor Paul Massie, playing a lead role before.

Checked him out on the IMDb and there he was in "Call Me Genius" (1961) (Yank title) Better known as "The Rebel" where he was the artist Hancock ripped off.

Again, just sayin'

Mystery and Imagination, on the ABC Nights In DVD with one of only three surviving (there were 39 made apparently) episodes "The Open Door", which starred Jack Hawkins with tragic irony about his son hearing a voice, as it was one of the last parts Hawkins played before he lost his voice to throat cancer and had to have his entire larynx removed.

Also had John Laurie in a perfect part for him with his "Doomed!" face and voice as he lays the ghost of a child. He was very good actually and brought a spark to an otherwise dullish play.

I thought it was amusing as they stomped about a clearly small set as though it was the ruins of some gothic pile, by going round in circles on it with the cameras shooting from different angles to give the impression of a massive building.

Pretty mundane for a horror play, by today's standards.

Series 6 of Nearest and Dearest currently. Also working my way through the box set of Sykes and On The Buses.

Waiting for God, Series 4. Brilliant show, a superb show. Great acting by the actors, love the characters. Diana Trent is a marvellous character!