Treatment/Pitch question...HELP!! Page 2

Quote: Lazzard @ 27th February 2021, 10:19 AM

Which comp/opportunity are you referring to in this case, AJK?

Oh it's the Baby Cow 'prog creator', ends tomorrow. Ignored it but now I'm thinking it's worth a punt. But they seem to leave it quite open as to how you present it. Obviously though, they're going to want to know complete story plans. Does this mean I should give every episode breakdown, or just one or two?

As I said with the BafRoff thing, they don't seem to like teasers, or just the intros as I basically did, the want fully detailed narrative plans.

Well - reading between the lines - it looks like they're very much after a narrative-style series.
Lots of talk about relationships, journeys and stories that need to be told etc etc
So, I'm wondering whether your project is best suited to this particular opportunity.
I certainly wouldn't enter it with a 'trad' sitcom, myself.
But I'm second guessing both your idea and Baby Cow's requirements - so I may be wide of the mark.

That just compounds my fear that the trad sitcom is dead. :( In which case I suppose I have nothing to lose in trying.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 27th February 2021, 11:32 AM

That just compounds my fear that the trad sitcom is dead..

Not really.
It's just not what they're after.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 27th February 2021, 11:32 AM

In which case I suppose I have nothing to lose in trying.

But why enter something unoriginal?

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 28th February 2021, 1:38 PM

But why enter something unoriginal?

Not sure he's saying that, is he?
It might be highly original - we have no idea.
We were discussing whether it's the genre they're actually looking for in this particular opportunity

Quote: Lazzard @ 28th February 2021, 2:20 PM

Not sure he's saying that, is he?
It might be highly original - we have no idea.
We were discussing whether it's the genre they're actually looking for in this particular opportunity

You can't be highly original and be the same old, same old. Every sitcom writer makes a choice.

Have you read his entry, then?
In which case you have me at a disadvantage.

Well I think I got it in. Soon find out if I didn't. Well it's in Paul, for them to decide. I thought it best to chance my arm, don't always, anymore. But who knows, there are many ways of it going in these comps, notwithstanding the current trends. Anyone else here put one in?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 1st March 2021, 12:12 AM

Well I think I got it in. Soon find out if I didn't. Well it's in Paul, for them to decide. I thought it best to chance my arm, don't always, anymore. But who knows, there are many ways of it going in these comps, notwithstanding the current trends. Anyone else here put one in?

Good luck, Alf. I submitted something.

With regards to treatments/pitch decks/bibles etc it's hard to know what people prefer. If you can find out, like the Baby Cow opp stated, then it really helps.

In terms of series arc, if your show doesn't arc then there's nothing wrong with that all. That show is far from dead but it's true that there is a trend from writers to create shows that are more comedy dramas with arcs. But that's writers-led. From everything I've heard channels still want your classic studio audience sitcom so if you have one then you're in a decent place as they aren't getting enough.

I do think you need to outline your episodes though as they'll want to see that the series has legs especially if it doesn't arc.

Good luck, one and all.

Cheers and good luck both and others. I expect competition to be fierce as always in these opportunities but it's only one entry per punter here which does level it up a bit, so I'm glad I bothered in the end, if it fits what they're after or not.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ 1st March 2021, 11:05 AM

From everything I've heard channels still want your classic studio audience sitcom so if you have one then you're in a decent place as they aren't getting enough.

That's very encouraging to hear, and is the second time I've been told that, another said prods aren't rejecting the sas, it's more the writers sending spec scripts in who are. So at least they've got one now.