Political Correctness gone mad Page 2

Quote: billwill @ 27th February 2021, 11:49 AM

Have you tried reading Shakespearean English?

Languages change and you can't really do anything about it.

Are you seriously suggesting that they spoke like that back in the 16th century.

So we lie back and accept the insidious creep of American English do we? F**king great. Thank God I won't be around to hear it.

gadzooks!

The trouble is, the English language is a mongrel language. It's a mash-up of all the languages of people who've invaded us. There's no real pure English. I kind of like how it's always changing and words drift in and out of usage. Like wazzock. You never hear about wazzocks anymore.

You could say that various Americanisms have Snuck in to the English language. See what I did there? (To coin a phrase.)

As in Seneca's speech which was delivered in Greek, some would use language in a bid to somehow suggest a level of superiority that doesn't exist.
In his (Seneca's) case he used Greek to show Latin as being the language of the plebs and now ironically public school pupils use Latin above English in order to what they believe is elevate themselves while hoping that it's usage helps to obfuscate the lack of actual content.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 27th February 2021, 12:01 PM

Are you seriously suggesting that they spoke like that back in the 16th century.

Shakespeare introduced about 1500 words into the English language.
Forsooth! The Hercs of the day must have been livid at the insidious pollution of the mother tongue.

Quote: Lazzard @ 27th February 2021, 1:10 PM

Shakespeare introduced about 1500 words into the English language.

And how many of those are used today, and you're all missing the point - Shakespeare was an Englishman, what I'm referring to is various hick Yank slang.

Christ.
And you think 'woke' people are too easily offended.

Quote: Lazzard @ 27th February 2021, 2:36 PM

Christ.
And you think 'woke' people are too easily offended.

There you again, changing what people say - you've done this now a number of times to others. There's no f**king "offended" about it at all. I just don't see why we have to adopt American slang like a load of sheep.

And I have no recollection of saying anything about 'woke' people - I've no idea what the shit (presumably Yank) expression means, and more to the point, don't care to.

I'm a woke person.
Every day at 6:30am

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 27th February 2021, 2:56 PM

There you again, changing what people say - you've done this now a number of times to others.

Ha!
From the guy who edited my quote about an hour ago.
Sorry - I presumed these things you complained about, like americanisms and toys changing their names offended you - my mistake.
Would 'object to' be more accurate?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 27th February 2021, 2:56 PM

There you again, changing what people say - you've done this now a number of times to others. There's no f**king "offended" about it at all. I just don't see why we have to adopt American slang like a load of sheep.

And I have no recollection of saying anything about 'woke' people - I've no idea what the shit (presumably Yank) expression means, and more to the point, don't care to.

Chillax, man!

". because the kind of people that say "political correctness gone mad" are usually using that phrase as a kind of cover action to attack minorities or people that they disagree with. I'm of an age that I can see what a difference political correctness has made. When I was four years old, my grandfather drove me around Birmingham, where the Tories had just fought an election campaign saying, "if you want a nigger for a neighbour, vote Labour," and he drove me around saying, "this is where all the niggers and the coons and the jungle bunnies live." And I remember being at school in the early 80s and my teacher, when he read the register, instead of saying the name of the one asian boy in the class, he would say, "is the black spot in," right? And all these things have gradually been eroded by political correctness, which seems to me to be about an institutionalised politeness at its worst. And if there is some fallout from this, which means that someone in an office might get in trouble one day for saying something that someone was a bit unsure about because they couldn't decide whether it was sexist or homophobic or racist, it's a small price to pay for the massive benefits and improvements in the quality of life for millions of people that political correctness has made. It's a complete lie that allows the right, which basically controls media now, and international politics, to make people on the left who are concerned about the way people are represented look like killjoys. "

*grabs popcorn*

I hate it when Americans change the pronunciation. It's so FRUStrating.