Treatment/Pitch question...HELP!!

Hi funny ones.

I'm putting together a treatment for a sitcom. (Who isn't.)

I've had some conflicting advice - some people say it's best to do an episode by episode breakdown; each episode gets a few paragraphs.

Others say it's good to define the arc and character arcs but only to a breakdown for Episode 1.

What's the verdict??

Wouldn't bother with an episode by episode breakdown until you're asked for it.
If they like the concept - and your writing - they'll ask for more.
Having said that, you mention arcs, so maybe it's more of a comedy/drama?
If the plot is very important, you might want to outline how that pans out over the series.

Thank you! That's a great help. W

Consider putting some sort of 'bible'/ deck together. If you know someone with a good eye, a well put together presentation can cut through the clutter.

A what now?

Quote: playfull @ 19th January 2021, 5:44 PM

A what now?

?

Sorry Lazzard, i was intrigued by Bible/deck ? Would you be kind enough to explain?

Quote: playfull @ 19th January 2021, 9:56 PM

Sorry Lazzard, i was intrigued by Bible/deck ? Would you be kind enough to explain?

"Bible" comes from a term used for a book/ binder handed on to new writers on an established series that describes characters, arcs, storylines etc. These days, tends to be used to describe a document that might have an intro to your Series concept, character descriptions, setting, series arcs, maybe some target market info, Show DNA (what other shows it's a bit like)etc. Usually spruced up to look smart.
Deck is just a set of slides/pages doing roughly the same thing.
Other in vogue phrases include "Look Book"
Essentially you're aiming to provide an easy to digest, easy-on-the-eye summation of the show you're asking them to consider.
A really good one will get you a meeting - and shows you mean business.
All to no avail if you don't have the script to back it up, though!

Thanks, very detailed and useful answer, as always!

Thanks both - this is really helpful stuff. It also makes me feel incredibly swish to be able to throw out tv jargon!

Popped up on my feed today... https://scriptmag.com/education/look-books-using-visual-shorthand-to-sell-your-script?utm_content=152247606&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&hss_channel=fbp-56936466636

That look-book nonsense alarms an old fashioned one finger keyboard tapper like me. If you have to become an IT whizzkid just to get a treatment looked at now then I'll give up, I virtually have now, anyway. I wasn't even going to enter this latest thing which just wants the treatment without a script - Because of that I shied away from it, but I've woken up thinking I might as well brush up my existing treatment for it and fling it in, as there are so few opps about.

I'm wondering if the Ep breakdown advice above on just including the Pilot/Ep1 would apply in this case too, or would they be expecting it for all eps of Series 1? My project's arcless (that's ARCless Angry) so I can't give a sweeping breakdown from start to finish as you would a serial or typical comdram. In other words the eps are stand alone eps in the classic/trad sas style. Only it feels like chopping my arm off handing over all my plots with zero protection of ownership. Anyone any thoughts? Ta if you do.

Which comp/opportunity are you referring to in this case, AJK?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 27th February 2021, 8:07 AM

That look-book nonsense alarms an old fashioned one finger keyboard tapper like me. If you have to become an IT whizzkid just to get a treatment looked at now then I'll give up, I virtually have now, anyway. I wasn't even going to enter this latest thing which just wants the treatment without a script - Because of that I shied away from it, but I've woken up thinking I might as well brush up my existing treatment for it and fling it in, as there are so few opps about.

I'm wondering if the Ep breakdown advice above on just including the Pilot/Ep1 would apply in this case too, or would they be expecting it for all eps of Series 1? My project's arcless (that's ARCless Angry) so I can't give a sweeping breakdown from start to finish as you would a serial or typical comdram. In other words the eps are stand alone eps in the classic/trad sas style. Only it feels like chopping my arm off handing over all my plots with zero protection of ownership. Anyone any thoughts? Ta if you do.

If there is no over riding story arc then I see no point in giving breakdowns of each episode.

Eh? Surely it means I have to, otherwise they won't know what the basic narrative plans are. They all want to know that. I tried to be a bit cryptic with the ep breakdowns for BafRoff but got ticked off for it.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 27th February 2021, 8:07 AM

handing over all my plots with zero protection of ownership.

Although I know this isn't the case technically in law, but in practice is unless you're in the top seller lists (can afford a good solicitor).