The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin Page 2

Quote: Aaron @ 24th February 2021, 1:57 PM

It's not yet clear if they'll go through all the series, but Series 1 of each does at least appear to be scheduled, yes.

Next week you can catch Hattie afterwards, followed by Mark Lawson talking to Dick Clement and Ian La Frenais.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 24th February 2021, 8:45 AM

Excellent. Ta both. It'll be nice to see a few weeks of sitcom characters dressing properly for work.

I didn't get where I am today by not appreciating Reggie Perrin

super

Greatsville Arizona

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 25th February 2021, 11:12 PM

I didn't get where I am today by not appreciating Reggie Perrin

And where exactly is that?

Impersonating Tom Hollander?

Actually I find the Tom Hollander impression quite hard tp prepare for
I have to Rev myself up first

That's it from me
Good night folks

Oh, found the level, have we? That was my Jasper Carrott impression.
I remember looking for this on Youtube and finding the remake, sob.

I was surprised the Windsor Safari outing episode was that early in the series but saw last night it was ep 2. Introduced us to a couple of interesting characters, Jimmy and the irritating bearded wonder. From distant memory of the time, there were quite a lot of his type about and they were satirised in quite a few things. It also reminded me I felt the location scenes were a let down after the tight and tense office scenes, as good as the episode was, I always preferred the slightly mad goings on at Sunshine Desserts. Fabulous acting by Rossiter though, really looked like a man on the edge.

Now deep into the ongoing narrative (story arc) of the series watching last night I remembered this is where I lost interest in it first time round and it's happening again but I'll stick with it this time. Still has great acting from Rossiter and an entertaining script but I want a sitcom to show me the same characters each week like Jimmy and CJ and Joan, and instead this has drifted off into one man's odyssey, as interesting as it is. Just confirmed my annoyance at the current trend for arc based sitcoms instead of the self contained classical sitcom episodes I favour. Angry

I didn't get where I am today by etc. That was my character from Reginald Perrin impression. Good, aren't I?
Yeah, I definitely lost interest in this, circa Grot. I prefer series that quit when they're ahead, like Last of the Summer Wine. SO much more mileage in that one.

Great cartoon performance by John Barron as CJ btw, one of the more memorable side characters in sitcomland. Yes he's been scripted to say his catchphrases but it's the oomph he gives them that makes them stand out. I can't remember seeing him in other sitcoms but this maybe because prods thought he typecast himself with his fantastic CJ, much like Warren Mitchell did with his barnstorming Alf Garnet. Shame but that's how TV prog makers think. :(

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 31st March 2021, 12:08 PM

Yeah, I definitely lost interest in this, circa Grot. I prefer series that quit when they're ahead

Yes I thought it lost all its steam by then, a bit like S4 of Rising Damp, (still watchable but the vitality in the scripts had largely gone). But ...Perrin has a rise in S2 to mirror the title because one of the best soliloquy offs in sitcom happens here I think, from memory, between Reggie and Jimmy, who comes into the sitcom a lot more.

Someone agrees with me on something. Better lower my standards.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 2nd April 2021, 9:03 AM

I can't remember seeing him in other sitcoms

All Gas & Gaiters and Potter spring immediately to mind.

Oh yes, AGAG of course, a sitcom I'd like to watch all of one day if I can get over my aversion to b&w TV. (B&W films I have no problem with, oddly, and often prefer them to colour remakes and similars.) I did have a niggling feeling I recognized him from something else. Not familiar with Potter though, might have to look it up.

I see now he was also in Whoopse Apocalypse, not something I'll ever watch. And he guested in a few episodes of other sitcoms of which I've probably seen him in, hence the familiarity of his fizzog. I'm not surprised he was well used, given his performance here.

In AGAG he was with the equally terrifying Joan Sanderson as Mrs Pugh-Critchley.
Someone should have a written a sit com just for those two.