Newsjack Series 24 - Feb/Mar 2021 Page 3

Quote: Dantrobus @ 24th February 2021, 3:23 PM

If anyone following this thread is in the audience for the recording tonight, I'd be really interested to hear about how it went. Not about the material you remember per se (though that too) but more about what it's like being in the virtual audience and if you get a sense of what material's landing and what isn't.

I was 'in the audience' and found it really enjoyable. None of my (absolutely bobbins) material made it into the show, but it was interesting to see the cast doing all the sketches socially distanced and it was fun to see behind the scenes. Recording lasted about an hour and 20 minutes (including cock ups and retakes) and I thought I could tell which sketches worked (even a couple of them Kiri said were the favourites of the week).

Submitted two sketches for the first time this week. Really enjoyed putting them together, never really written any sketches before. A nice bonus would be able to make it onto the show, but I'm sensibly preparing myself for radio silence tomorrow! Anyone know roughly how many submissions they get every week out of interest?

Thanks for the replies!

I managed to get an invite on the show tonight. Shame that none of my stuff was used. Three one liners and two GWBW.

The show itself was great. I really enjoyed.

They had about a thousand of us in the audience, and it sounded really good. Lots of laughs and applause.

The email had two links: the first to a BBC web app where they record my audio, the other to the zoom call.

After a prerecorded intro the producer then Kiri turned up. She introduced the evening, and asked everyone to make plenty of noise when laughing. She also asked that for any groans to be "up sold" into laughs. I think this worked for quite a few of the jokes!

The show was recorded as live, with a couple of lines restarted.

Most if not all sketches were strongly received. It's difficult to say if there was a theme to the material. Some sketches were applauded. Other sketches had good premises but finished weakly (IMHO). But this makes the point that a sketch should still be sent in, even if you're not 100% happy with it. I'd say that they probably recorded about 8 - 12 minutes more than they needed.

With a thousand people in the audience, you only need ten percent to laugh and it sounds great. And as it's all on zoom, it's a great chance for us who don't live in London to be able to join in. I have a ticket to the 10th of March recording, and might have my own stuff read out!

In answer to the above, I think they received about 650 sketches, and 800 jokes for this episode.

Quote: foggydon @ 24th February 2021, 11:30 PM

I managed to get an invite on the show tonight. Shame that none of my stuff was used. Three one liners and two GWBW.

They had about a thousand of us in the audience, and it sounded really good. Lots of laughs and applause.

The email had two links: the first to a BBC web app where they record my audio, the other to the zoom call.

After a prerecorded intro the producer then Kiri turned up. She introduced the evening, and asked everyone to make plenty of noise when laughing. She also asked that for any groans to be "up sold" into laughs. I think this worked for quite a few of the jokes!

Most if not all sketches were strongly received. It's difficult to say if there was a theme to the material. Some sketches were applauded. Other sketches had good premises but finished weakly (IMHO). But this makes the point that a sketch should still be sent in, even if you're not 100% happy with it. I'd say that they probably recorded about 8 - 12 minutes more than they needed.

With a thousand people in the audience, you only need ten percent to laugh and it sounds great. And as it's all on zoom, it's a great chance for us who don't live in London to be able to join in. I have a ticket to the 10th of March recording, and might have my own stuff read out!

In answer to the above, I think they received about 650 sketches, and 800 jokes for this episode.

That's really helpful. Thanks for writing that.

I would just add that, on past experience, if NJ said 800 jokes it actually probably means 800 ish lots of jokes. So more likely thousands of jokes. I would guess over 2000. Probably over 3000, at a guess, but I could be wrong.

Quote: Exe Chris @ 24th February 2021, 9:21 PM

I was 'in the audience' and found it really enjoyable. None of my (absolutely bobbins) material made it into the show, but it was interesting to see the cast doing all the sketches socially distanced and it was fun to see behind the scenes. Recording lasted about an hour and 20 minutes (including cock ups and retakes) and I thought I could tell which sketches worked (even a couple of them Kiri said were the favourites of the week).

Oh that's really interesting, thanks. I hadn't twigged that the cast were doing it socially distanced rather than virtual.

Quote: foggydon @ 24th February 2021, 11:30 PM

Thanks for this write-up. Really interesting. A thousand people in the audience! That's amazing. And yeah, definitely a very handy thing for the many of us who don't live anywhere near London. In all the time I've been Newsjacking, I've never made it to a recording. I did go to a writers briefing back in 2014 or 2015 when they just did a Q&A session in London and didn't really do the social media stuff they do now, and that only happened because I was in London for a work thing and the dates coincided.

Quote: BTF @ 25th February 2021, 12:50 AM

I would just add that, on past experience, if NJ said 800 jokes it actually probably means 800 ish lots of jokes. So more likely thousands of jokes. I would guess over 2000. Probably over 3000, at a guess, but I could be wrong.

Yes, that's what I think too. 800 submissions, so if there's an average 3 to 4 jokes per sub, then ~3000 jokes.

Thanks ExeChris and Foggydon for all the feedback on the virtual recording

I've never been to a live radio comedy show recording , but in years gone by have managed HIGNFY, Drop the Dead Donkey and the Rory Bremner show - enjoyable to see how the process all works before the finished product. ( Must've been a while ago as I remember one of the guests on HIGNFY was Terry Christian )

Twitter says the e-mails have gone out and I've nothing in the inbox, so it's a blank for me

Same. I only stuck a few in last minute just because I am short of time. Well done if you got in

I got lucky with a good email - came in at 19:13 so much later than recent series. I had sent in 3 BN and 3 GWBW (1 a duplicate of a BN).

Well done Skram

Fantastic work Skram

3 mins into the show and I can already say "the new sound is horrible" I wish they'd go back to no audience

I managed to write a sketch for this episode's deadline - it was alright, I think, apart from a fairly weak ending.

I annoyed myself by thinking of a better premise for the whole sketch while I was trying to write a joke for Kiri's intro, but by then didn't have the time or will to start again.

I reckon I'll manage a few oneliners by tomorrow.

Good luck, everybody.

Quote: skram @ 25th February 2021, 7:56 PM

I got lucky with a good email - came in at 19:13 so much later than recent series. I had sent in 3 BN and 3 GWBW (1 a duplicate of a BN).

Congrats! Which bit was yours?