Spike Milligan

Surprised there isn't a general Spike thread.

I just watched Sunday Night at the London Palladium on TPTV. Spike was top of the bill. 10 minutes or so of typical Milligan.

He hummed the Bum of the Flightle Bee and a couple of limericks.

Sound quality wasn't brilliant but still a great 10 minutes or so.

So am I - just never thought about creating one, which I should have done as he is The God of Comedy for me. They are still repeating The Goon Show on R4+ and everyone for me is comedy gold. Love it, love it, love it, and I am totally perplexed as to why anyone (Aaron Whistling nnocently) does not find it funny.

It's as old as the hills, but what's not to love with a pie in the face gag...........................Laughing out loud

Quote: Chappers @ 21st February 2021, 9:18 PM

Surprised there isn't a general Spike thread.

I just watched Sunday Night at the London Palladium on TPTV. Spike was top of the bill. 10 minutes or so of typical Milligan.

He hummed the Bum of the Flightle Bee and a couple of limericks.

Sound quality wasn't brilliant but still a great 10 minutes or so.

I've never seen him do a stand up routine.What year was it ?

Quote: john tregorran @ 22nd February 2021, 7:41 AM

I've never seen him do a stand up routine.What year was it ?

You're asking the wrong person - Chappers struggles to remember what day of the week it is...................

....................so, from a fanatical Milligna fan :-

(I have answered this previously somewhere on this forum)

Sadly this is not the entire routine

All modern stand ups bow to your master. Apart from the song that routine would be revolutionary today if he hadn't have done it 70 years ago!

Thanks a lot. I didn't watch much TV in the sixties.
That nearly 3 minutes had more laughs than 30 minutes from some of the contemporary comedians.

How's Mr Banerjee?
HE'S! NOT! VERY! WELL!
Why?
I! EX! TER! MIN! ATED! HIM!

Quote: john tregorran @ 22nd February 2021, 9:59 PM

How's Mr Banerjee?
HE'S! NOT! VERY! WELL!
Why?
I! EX! TER! MIN! ATED! HIM!

The first Milligan sketch I ever saw, it was included in a Doctor Who documentary. I howled laughing. Now of course I can see the stereotyping etc but then? It was so silly I loved it.

That said, Curry and Chips really is unforgivable television. Both for being racist but, crucially, not funny.

I like his appearance opposite Paul Merton on Room 101:

https://youtu.be/a1oNCstNXNY

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 22nd February 2021, 11:31 PM

That said, Curry and Chips really is unforgivable television. Both for being racist but, crucially, not funny.

Yes, I bought the DVD many years ago, and surprised it had been released, but despite being a massive Milligan and Sykes fan thought this wasn't worthy of them.

Like you say - not funny.

Fascinating programme currently on BBC Radio 4 Extra. 3 hours or so including an interview with Psychiatrist Antony Clare about his mental problems.

A Goon Show will be on later.