How do you post a gif?

I'm sure I've seen people's posts with moving images, but I'll be damned if I can do it. I find a moving gif and copy the Share URL or Embed codes, but nothing appears on the forum.

HELP :(

Put the full URL in between image tags

Make sure the URL ends in .GIF or it doesn't always work.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 15th February 2021, 5:40 PM

Put the full URL in between image tags

Make sure the URL ends in .GIF or it doesn't always work.

Well I'm sure I tried that, (maybe not the 'gif') but will have another go, so thank you very much!! :D

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 16th February 2021, 8:12 AM

Ooooo, you know how to hurt people Teary

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 16th February 2021, 8:12 AM

I think I've sorted it now, so............................

I can't even post a still picture.

Do a QUOTE of a message with a GIF on it and you will see in the raw text of the composing box, the format that you need to put around the address on the internet of the picture that you want to display. No spaces allowed.

basically
{image}address{/image}
but with square brackets not curly ones.

Quote: Chappers @ 16th February 2021, 9:51 PM

I can't even post a still picture.

I can think of at least two occasions when I've led you by the hand through that process, which is so simple. Unimpressed

Quote: billwill @ 17th February 2021, 12:21 AM

Do a QUOTE of a message with a GIF on it and you will see in the raw text of the composing box, the format that you need to put around the address on the internet of the picture that you want to display. No spaces allowed.

basically
{image}address{/image}
but with square brackets not curly ones.

The problem I kept coming up with was if the image was an MP4, changing the tag to gif didn't make any difference - it still didn't work. Can you not change an MP4?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 16th February 2021, 3:49 PM

I think I've sorted it now, so............................

Ah, that's nice - is he saying love you?

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 17th February 2021, 7:37 AM

Ah, that's nice - is he saying love you?

It's a Fuf, not a Leh, but Love and F**k go together don't they. :P

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 17th February 2021, 12:46 AM

The problem I kept coming up with was if the image was an MP4, changing the tag to gif didn't make any difference - it still didn't work. Can you not change an MP4?

No, they are two completely different file types. Changing the file extension will not change the file type. An MP4 is a video file. A GIF is an image file. Two entirely different animals, although they have some similarities.

Quote: DaButt @ 17th February 2021, 10:01 AM

No, they are two completely different file types. Changing the file extension will not change the file type. An MP4 is a video file. A GIF is an image file. Two entirely different animals, although they have some similarities.

Thanks Da Butt, that's what I thought, and what I found out! It was a bit confusing when they are offering all these short moving images, which seem to be a jumble of gif and MP4 :S

The problem has arisen because GIF inherently has no controls. The author (or editor) of the file can specify certain settings like if it loops (replays automatically), but you can't stop, play or pause the animation. Some platforms - like Twitter and Facebook - have decided they don't want animations to auto-play, and indeed want to offer such controls as play/pause. Thus, when a GIF is uploaded onto those platforms, it is converted into MP4, which is a video file and - you guessed it - thus does support pausing etc, but this ends up in multiple animations of the same thing existing in different formats.

Phew :S