Coronavirus Page 73

Quote: billwill @ 13th February 2021, 12:32 AM

Daiy Mail?
Ah that explains it.
Rated about 33% on the reliability scale.

0% reliability in my opinion.
A filthy rag.
No, I only used the Daily Mail because if I'd used The Guardian I'd have been accused of Lefty bias.
And based on the fact that if the DM think the Tories are doing a shit job - you KNOW they're doing a shit job.

What do people like better? Beans on Weetabix or houmous in Marmite? I only ask as I am just biding my time before hearing the rational so obvious truth that Peter Murrell is no more gay than Alex Salmond. It can so easily convince as every gay person I have known has a vibrant character, great looks and big morals. But then what can you get if not a hard border between countries? Glorious marital union, at least in all appearances, and a bloody great pursed lip stonewall. Was I on the camping trips with him in the 1970s? Well, me, I have never been physical since I wet my shorts, aged 10, in '73 at British Glencoe. So can't recall.

Btw coronavirus is a total myth.

https://www.scotsman.com/webimg/b25lY21zOjJhYTQ3OWIyLTIwMDMtNDA3MS1iMDM2LWFhMzE3MmI4MGUzYzoyZjk1MTg0NS00YzJlLTQzN2EtOTA1Ny02NTZjNmMyN2M0ODk=.jpg?width=640

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a__lc4bLzCY

Quote: billwill @ 13th February 2021, 12:32 AM

Daiy Mail?
Ah that explains it.
Rated about 33% on the reliability scale.

Don't bother with any figures mangled by ANY of the media, go straight to the 'horses mouth' in this case the ONS (Office of National Statistics)
The data is here: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/datasets/monthlyfiguresondeathsregisteredbyareaofusualresidence

Download the XLS sheets for deaths in 2020 and look directly at the figures.

And of course to make it look worse, the Daily Mail reporters haven't subtracted the number of deaths that would have occurred anyway, it's only the Excess deaths that really matter statistically.

On the same ONS page, further down the web page you can download the same type of spreadsheet for 10 years earlier, so subtracting the latter from the 2020 figures should give a good estimate of the excess deaths.

I make it 608016 total deaths for 2020 and 401995 for 2010, so the EXCESS DEATHS for 2020 estimates at 204,021. Which doesn't make such a flashy headline for the Daily Mail does it??

Did you intend to comment, Bushbaby, 'cos there's nothing in the relevant place in your posting?

It was a retweet. :)

One day, the virus won't be the headline of every news channel every hour, every day.
They act as if nothing is being done about it and still have lengthy debates with anybody that will pop up to spread doom.

I suspect a lot of these people like being furloughed or having it easy and are in no rush to join the rat race again.

They are going to struggle juggling the figures now that almost all the over 65's have had the 1st vaccine.
The death figures won't be able to be attributed to 'of' or 'with' covid any more.
Their only option to keep fear at a high level is the number of daily infections. (maybe forgetting to mention the recovery rates)

I heard the 'experts' saying on tv this morning that they believe there should still be a hard lockdown until at least the end of May - meaning June really. Then it's summer and they'll be prepared to cautiously come out then. Oh yeah.

Boris says he'll ease lockdown when the R rate consistently drops below 1 and the death rates go down.
Here's my news: it will plummet over the next few weeks to insignificant levels.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 17th February 2021, 8:22 AM

One day, the virus won't be the headline of every news channel every hour, every day.
They act as if nothing is being done about it and still have lengthy debates with anybody that will pop up to spread doom.

I heard the 'experts' saying on tv this morning that they believe there should still be a hard lockdown until at least the end of May - meaning June really. Then it's summer and they'll be prepared to cautiously come out then. Oh yeah.

Boris says he'll ease lockdown when the R rate consistently drops below 1 and the death rates go down.
Here's my news: it will plummet over the next few weeks to insignificant levels.

I won't listen to all these naysayers on the news now. As soon as say the counterproductive and ineffective Starmer or one of his hangers-on start spouting about how they would have done it and what Boris is doing wrong, I change channels. They talk as though Boris makes all the decisions himself - for f**k's sake, he has an army of advisers who know more about it all than the F**kier Starmy's Barmy Army.

And as for the other lot - Yes!! Let's open all the pubs and restaurants again, and find ourselves back where we were last summer/autumn.
We've made gains - that needs to be built on!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 17th February 2021, 10:19 AM

I won't listen to all these naysayers on the news now. As soon as say the counterproductive and ineffective Starmer or one of his hangers-on start spouting about how they would have done it and what Boris is doing wrong, I change channels. They talk as though Boris makes all the decisions himself - for f**k's sake, he has an army of advisers who know more about it all than the F**kier Starmy's Barmy Army.

And as for the other lot - Yes!! Let's open all the pubs and restaurants again, and find ourselves back where we were last summer/autumn.
We've made gains - that needs to be built on!

As I've said before I bet they're really glad they're not in charge. It's easier to criticise.

Quote: Chappers @ 17th February 2021, 5:53 PM

As I've said before I bet they're really glad they're not in charge. It's easier to criticise.

Especially with the gift of hind-sight!

Contagion

Just watched this film, my son downloaded from one of his "sources", and It's uncanny how, made 10 years ago, it is so close to what we are going through now.

The virus starts in a Chinese food market, is passed initially by hand to hand, then breath with a cough. Advising people not to touch anything or touch each other. Wearing masks, hand gels, not touching face with hand and the seeming hopelessness of it all against its onslaught across the world. The fake news and false hopes of homeopathic medicines.
Yes, it was weird - makes you wonder if the writers then set out to "make it so"

Apart from that, it was just OK as a film - what it did remind me a bit of, was the main character played by Matt Damon and his daughter played by a then 16-year-old Anna Jacoby-Heron in her first film, as they fought to stay ahead of the game - was Tom Cruise and Dakota Fanning in "War of the Worlds", some 6 years previous.

I hope Boris is brave on this evenings announcement.
The news channels are guessing (I hope) that slight relaxations will start at the end of March and gradually until June.

Over one third of adults have now been vaccinated and it is still moving at pace.
All the vulnerable will now or soon will have been vaccinated.

So deaths from or with covid will all but disappear from the over 60's. They can't put it on the death certificate if they are vaccinated.
It's not published much - but teachers are now getting called for the jab (my 34 year old daughter is this week)
So in 2 weeks, all the present cases will either have recovered or died (not being flippant) and the daily published death rates will fall below negligible.
And surely it's all about the death rates and not overwhelming the NHS.
They can't hold us prisoner any longer when hardly anyone is dying from or with it.

Looks like this is what he's going for.... https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/feb/21/lockdown-easing-in-england-key-dates-and-phases-in-the-roadmap He'll get some jip from the usual suspects, but he'll bumble it through.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 22nd February 2021, 8:22 AM

They can't put it on the death certificate if they are vaccinated.
I

Which bit of: "Vaccines are not 100% effective" do you not understand!

You know what I meant pedantic pete.
Old people going to hospital with a different condition, catching covid in hospital and that going on the record and statistics.
It has happened a lot, the 'with' covid rather than of.
The Pfizer vaccine is said to be 95% effective.

Well apparently they've traced the person who had the Brazilian variant. They come from Croydon which explains a lot. I hope they throw the book at them.