TPTV Films Page 34

You Will Remember (1941)

I only watched this because Robert Morley was in the lead role of Tom Barrett (stage name Leslie Stuart) - the film being the biography of this then famous songwriter ("Lily of Laguna" etc.) who put together a number of very successful shows and then plunged back into poverty after living the high life.

Interesting to see a tiny 13 year old Roddy McDowall playing a waif half that age, when the film shows the early life of Barrett/Stuart as a boy piano playing prodigy, and how they then parted and came back together again with McDowall as his old pal Bob Slater becoming his carer in the film. This character may have been created for the film, of course.

Certainly not everyone's cup of tea, but a pleasant film nonetheless. No one else of any note that I knew in it.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 24th January 2021, 9:10 AM

The Yellow Balloon (1953)

Bloody good "lost" thriller with a brilliant 13 year old Andrew Ray playing an 8/9 year old (?) who gets involved with a nasty London lowlife, played by William Sylvester after he persuades Ray that he actually caused the death of Ray's schoolboy chum, and that he was the only person who could protect him from the police, and Ray believes everything he tells him. But Sylvester has other plans to use the kid as a distraction in a pub robbery.

I've seen Andrew Ray in a number of films now, usually when he's much older than this, but he really was superb as a wide-eyed innocent schoolboy, and the chase/hunt to find him after the robbery goes wrong as Sylvester tries to kill Ray - him being a witness on the spot, and it's only then he finally realises that Sylvester is a nasty piece of work, as he is dragged into the labyrinth of a bomb damaged tube station.

Out of place (imo) Kenneth More as Ray's father, and a number of other faces in this, such as Sid James, Peter Jones, Campbell Singer, Bernard Lee (M), Sandra Dorne (again Lovey ), Hy Hazell, Brenda de Banzie (Too Many Crooks) and a very young Richard O'Sullivan who I didn't spot at all.

YES, a very good film, and it seems many of the London streets/buildings still exist, including the refurbished underground system, according to the excellent web site Reelstreets.

I watched this a few weeks ago. Tart with a Heart!

Once a Sinner (1950)

Jack Watling as a staid bank clerk, looking for more out of life and engaged to a nice girl, but then gets besotted with a good time girl he sees by chance in a bar who he pursues until she agrees to marry him, much to the annoyance of all the people who held him dear.

But she (pretty Pat Kirkwood), is still involved with her small time crook boyfriend Sydney Tafler, who is into forged money, which she passes off with not a care in the world, until the police track where the money is coming from, and it all finishes nasty for some, when things come to a head.

Not a bad film, which also had Thora Hird, Danny Green and Harry Fowler in it.

They Met in the Dark (1943)

Big fan of James Mason, who takes the lead part in this tale of Fifth Columnists working behind a dancing school and night club extracting information from Navy personnel attracted to the women therein.

He gets himself set up by the spies, is reprimanded and then sets out to prove his innocence, using old ship mates to provide a bit of heavy help.

Seen a number of this type of 5th nasties infiltrating one way or another, and this had a different slant with good story, which made for an enjoyable film.

Few familiar faces in minor roles, one of them being Ronald Chesney the then famous harmonica player who went on to achieve much fame as a sitcom writer with such series as On the Buses, Meet the Wife, Romany Jones, etc. etc. etc.

The End of the Line (1957)

The wife of a night club owner and old flame tries to frame an American (Alan Baxter - who?) writer for his murder, and along the way he gets blackmailed by a private detective hired by the husband to watch his flighty wife.

Quite tense and a good story with a bit of a twist at the end, so enjoyable.

No one of note in it - the only people I recognised were Harry Towb and Jennifer Jayne, who was William Tell's wife in the 1950s TV series.

Some very nice cars too in the shape of a two - tone Humber Hawk mega lump with white wall tyres, a Sunbeam Rapier and a Hillman Minx, all in pristine condition of course.

The main feature in this week's Saturday Morning Pictures..........

Cup Fever 1965

Not bad, and would certainly be of interest to anyone living in Manchester or supporting MU, though barely saw much of the players at Old Trafford training the kids, and the only person there with a speaking part was Matt Busby, who was quite natural and not wooden at all, which is usually the case.

Bernard Cribbins in a leading part as a policeman and David Lodge (Boo Hiss) as the "baddie" who tries to thwart the lads football team, so his own son's team win the Cup Final. Also had Norman Rossington briefly and Susan George and Olivia Hussey, both in their first film as girl hangers-on/general dogs-bodies. "No! You girls can't come with us to Old Trafford as it's for men and boys only!"

Oh, and the leading boy was Denis Gilmore, who has been in loads of stuff over the years, including the famous "Don't forget the Fruit Gums mum!" TV advert.

Nice to see the Humber again.The father of one of my mates bought one second hand and hired it out,with him as driver, for weddings.He never actually used it as the family car,probably couldn't afford the petrol :)

Yes, a big lump, and the Super Snipe Pullman was even bigger! I remember sitting a a coffee bar on the main drag in the town centre mid 60s, when one of these pulled up at the traffic lights - I swear the light in the caff dimmed. :D

Impressive.I wonder how many were sold.

Quote: john tregorran @ 7th February 2021, 8:13 PM

Impressive.I wonder how many were sold.

Yes

Silent Dust (1949)

VERY good suspense film that I cannot elaborate on too much without creating a spoiler.

Blind grumpy rich business man commissions a cricket pavilion on the village green dedicated to his son who was killed in the war, but the local Lord wants all the local men's names who died put on it. That is minor to the plot, which gets a big twist not too long into the film.

Excellent Stephen Murray plays the blind man (it isn't explained why he is blind), with Nigel Patrick, Sally Gray and Derek Farr etc. with minor roles for George Woodbridge, James Hayter and Irene Handl.

Yes, a very good film and well worth a watch. One of those tense dramas that we Brits do so well.

Has a very nice Armstrong-Siddeley Hurricane Coupe de Ville (identified it myself, which I'm chuffed about as the IMCDB couldn't help) and a Bentley sports job in it too.

I've no idea where the film title comes from

Wanted for Murder (1946) Yank title "A Voice in the Night"

The main reason for watching this is that Eric Portman was the star - his intense acting always goes well in this sort of film about a strangler murdering young women and teasing the police with his deeds and next victim. Been done before and since, but this is a good version.

Also starring Dulcie Gray, then Roland Culver, Stanley Holloway and Bill Shine as the Scotland Yard detectives, American Bonar Colleano, who I've seen in a couple of films now and he's the guy who was tragically killed in a car crash in the UK aged only 34, and regular extras in the shape of Kathleen Harrison, in a domestic role again, Moira Lister, unusual in a minor role and uncredited Wilfrid Hyde-White.

Not as tense as it could have been with a few bits of humour, but a good film nonetheless.

Ghost Ship (1952)

Plodding ghost story that wasn't in the least spooky, and I only watched it because the leading lady was Hazel Court and the film was only 1ΒΌ hours long.

Couple buy neglected ship that is haunted, despite being warned off not to, and the film deteriorates from there. The story was good, but it needed spicing up a bit.

Other actors, apart from the leading man Dermot Walsh, who I recognised were Hugh Burden, with Joss Ackland and Ian Carmichael in minor parts.

Devil Girl from Mars (1954)

Move over "Plan 9 from Outer Space", we Brits can do just as bad science fiction films.

What John Laurie, who complained that being a trained Shakespearian actor Dad's Army was beneath him, was doing in this load of dross I do not know - I suppose the money was good.

So, if you are into an all black PVC clad dominatrix with kinky boots, hot pants and huge swirling cape, all topped by a skull cap, then this is the film for you, as the Devil Girl from Mars is played by moody Patricia Laffan, who looked for all the world like Darth Vader's mum. Others I knew in the film were the gorgeous Hazel Court, Adrienne Corri and Peter Reynolds, with the token Yank this time played woodenly by a Scottish actor Hugh McDermott.

Awful script, clonking acting, laughable pathos and a plot full of holes.

Worth it maybe if you are into awful Sci-Fi films.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 11th February 2021, 9:04 AM

Devil Girl from Mars (1954)

Move over "Plan 9 from Outer Space", we Brits can do just as bad science fiction films.

What John Laurie, who complained that being a trained Shakespearian actor Dad's Army was beneath him, was doing in this load of dross I do not know - I suppose the money was good.

So, if you are into an all black PVC clad dominatrix with kinky boots, hot pants and huge swirling cape, all topped by a skull cap, then this is the film for you, as the Devil Girl from Mars is played by moody Patricia Laffan, who looked for all the world like Darth Vader's mum. Others I knew in the film were the gorgeous Hazel Court, Adrienne Corri and Peter Reynolds, with the token Yank this time played woodenly by a Scottish actor Hugh McDermott.

Awful script, clonking acting, laughable pathos and a plot full of holes.

Worth it maybe if you are into awful Sci-Fi films.

When is it on or repeated? Not that I'm into an all black PVC clad dominatrix with kinky boots, hot pants and huge swirling cape, all topped by a skull cap of course!

Quote: Chappers @ 11th February 2021, 3:34 PM

When is it on or repeated? Not that I'm into an all black PVC clad dominatrix with kinky boots, hot pants and huge swirling cape, all topped by a skull cap of course!

If it's on again and I remember, I will let you know. In the meantime you will have to do with this :-

Chappers, I am your Mother!