Mortimer & Whitehouse: Gone Fishing Page 6

I love the way Bob tells stories.

Just ordered series 1 and should get it by Friday ready for a binge watch Saturday. Hopefully there's a blanket of snow outside and I can get some supplies in and do all six in one go. I've only seen odd episodes from all the series so will be buying the others as well.

Finally watched all of series one last night with headphones on so I could hear every sound and it's such an enjoyable experience seeing two British comedy legends hanging out. I like how it feels like a lot of the music is composed on demand by freelance musicians working for the BBC to fit the tone of each episode rather than using library music. At least I hope.

Seeing all the drone work and how they combine the background sounds with them talking makes me wish I had done audio/visual editing at college so I could do jobs like that. As a kid I used to read all the names of people on end credits of sitcoms wondering what they did. Gaffer, Best Boy, Dolly Grip, Boom Operator etc. I used to want to grow up to be a Vision Mixer even though I didn't have a clue what it was. It just sounded like an interesting job and what I like about Gone Fishing is that it makes me reminisce about things like that. It's rejuvenating viewing and it seems 100% genuine with them catching fish but even if that part was set up I wouldn't care. Like the Sea Bass episode. I have no reason to believe anything like that is set up but I used to believe The Trip was a real documentary. If the catches are set up I don't care because it's worth it for Bob's excitable reactions to the chance of reeling one in.

Returns for season 4 next Sunday!

A joy to have this back. Bob's giggle is life enhancing (though the bit where he fell on the rock, hurt his arm and shrieked I was genuinely worried!).

I hope this series runs and runs.

And away.

This passed me by completely, probably due to the 'Gone Fishing' bit. I went down the local cut twice with my Grandad in the late 50s - didn't catch anything and left him to it.

But a nudge from one of my lads t'other night put me onto iPlayer and now all the episodes are on a stick and being binged. As he said the fishing bit is background, it's just like when one of your mates pops round for a cuppa and you just talk happy shite for half an hour.

Lovely stuff.

I watched the latest episode and I swear they caught the same fish three times.

Quote: beaky @ 8th September 2021, 2:42 PM

Exactly what I thought! Probably was,that pond probably never gets fished so the lazy fish just keeps coming back.

Quote: beaky @ 8th September 2021, 2:42 PM

Bloody repeats!

The funniest thing on at the moment. Bob Mortimer lightly messing around is consistently great. Wonderful turns of phrase.

Bob Mortimer's personality is similar the childlike quality of Eric Morecambe, messing about, with no hint of cruelty or offense. Great fun.

Much as I love this don't you think the fish get a bit pissed off getting caught?

Apart from anything they get no appearance fees.

Quote: Chappers @ 26th September 2021, 8:47 PM

Much as I love this don't you think the fish get a bit pissed off getting caught?

Apart from anything they get no appearance fees.

The one thing I never understand about this kind of fishing is wasting your entire day catching them only to put them back.

"It's like having George Clooney round".