Home Made IQ Tests Page 3

Quote: john tregorran @ 3rd February 2021, 6:05 PM

Pure Poetry.Mathematics is the language of the universe.That's how Trump and his supporters get their messages from outer space.

Thank you kindly.

So all you need to do is solve DaButt's one.

As I charitably leave the easy questions to other people. :)

I agree,it's a shame to spoil it for the others.

Quote: DaButt @ 3rd February 2021, 2:20 PM

I figured it out on my own, but I'm not sure what book you're talking about.

The GCHQ Puzzle book

It's the very first example in it.

~~~~
Well it is Home-Made in a sense for DaButt, since the puzzle was "Made in Britain" :-)

~~~~~~

Clicking Smiley doesn't seem to work any more on this forum.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well try this one then. It is definitely home-made and no-one has registered on my support website since I installed this Anti-Robot registration.

I even had to simplify it last year to two words instead of three, but still no registrations. :-(

http://www.datahighways.co.uk/support/register2020.asp

Please DON'T publish the answer here, just register and post a msg in the "Dragon Nest" topic.

Quote: billwill @ 4th February 2021, 1:14 PM

The GCHQ Puzzle book

Well it is Home-Made in a sense for DaButt, since the puzzle was "Made in Britain" :-)

Clicking Smiley doesn't seem to work any more on this form.

And thank you Captain Doublespeak

1. What connects the following - a rabbit, purple socks, Venezuela, a gypsy boy, bicycle clips, Corine Rottschäfer - the winner of the 1959 Miss World competition, Darth Vader and a lavatory brush?

2. Grimsby's was a fish. Fleetwood's was a fish. West Ham's was a hammer.? What was Manchester City's?

3. How many hairs does Calvert Lewin have on his head?

4. Complete the following number sequence - 34, 34, 34, 34, (?) ?

Would number 1 be Top Hat ?

Quote: john tregorran @ 4th February 2021, 7:05 PM

Would number 1 be Top Hat ?

While I can see where you are coming from - it is actually, John, a very logical strand of thinking on your part - alas no : it isn't Top Hat.

That's disappointing.I'm sure that was a Paul Daniels (ably assisted by the lovely Debbie McGee) trick.Perhaps not with the rabbit though.

No 3 It's a trick question.He doesn't have hairs,they are rabbits because they look the same.(Boy's Bumper Book of Japes-1953)

Quote: john tregorran @ 4th February 2021, 9:23 PM

That's disappointing.I'm sure that was a Paul Daniels (ably assisted by the lovely Debbie McGee) trick.Perhaps not with the rabbit though.

No 3 It's a trick question.He doesn't have hairs,they are rabbits because they look the same.(Boy's Bumper Book of Japes-1953)

Wow.

That is so close I think I have to give you it.

The footballer Calvert-Lewin has a hyphen in his name.

Calvert Lewin without a hyphen is the name of my pet goldfish so, yes, correct, Calvert Lewin doesn't have any hairs on his head.

By the way, the answer to "What connects the following - a rabbit, purple socks, Venezuela, a gypsy boy, bicycle clips, Corine Rottschäfer - the winner of the 1959 Miss World competition, Darth Vader and a lavatory brush?" is that a rabbit, purple socks, Venezuela, a gypsy boy, bicycle clips, Corine Rottschäfer - the winner of the 1959 Miss World competition, Darth Vader and a lavatory brush all feature in the question "What connects the following - a rabbit, purple socks, Venezuela, a gypsy boy, bicycle clips, Corine Rottschäfer - the winner of the 1959 Miss World competition, Darth Vader and a lavatory brush?"

Following your success with Question 3, do you fancy trying to answer questions 2 and 4?

It's just a guess but I think no 2 is a Rabbit's Foot, which is believed to bring good luck.I think the Gallagher Bros, purveyors of dirgey pub rock ,are keen supporters.So they obviously need all the good luck that's available.

Quote: john tregorran @ 5th February 2021, 1:01 AM

It's just a guess but I think no 2 is a Rabbit's Foot, which is believed to bring good luck.I think the Gallagher Bros, purveyors of dirgey pub rock ,are keen supporters.So they obviously need all the good luck that's available.

Oddly, there is a vague music link and only just before the Britpop era. We are in the late 1980s Second Summer of Love. They were all the No 1 inflatables at the clubs listed. Obviously, then, the answer here is Banana. For Manchester City was where inflatables took off and most of those inflatables were - initially politically innocent - bananas. Currently, of course, Billie Piper is trying to save the Oasis swimming baths in Swindon which the Gallaghers have bizarrely claimed their band was named after and which itself has a fair number of inflatables. So, again, you were not half the world away. Time to step on to Question 4?

Not sure whether you want one or two numbers but I am sure of one.

These are the UK chart peaks of popular music duo Chas'n' Dave.
Their next hit titled : "Rabbit" peaked at 8.

Quote: john tregorran @ 5th February 2021, 3:13 AM

Not sure whether you want one or two numbers but I am sure of one.

These are the UK chart peaks of popular music duo Chas'n' Dave.
Their next hit titled : "Rabbit" peaked at 8.

Not being critical or nothing, John, but sometimes I have to question where your head's at. While Rabbit did indeed peak at 8, Strummin' was 52, Gertcha was 20 and The Sideboard Song was 55, while several other songs before Rabbit didn't get anywhere at all. You are correct that there are two answers. One is right and the other is wrong. The wrong answer would have been 34. The right answer would have been 34, as all of the other parts of the sequence have a comma after the number 34. Thanks for trying. You scored a fairly reasonably score of three gnus, seven small lawnmowers and one signed photograph of Charlie Cairoli. Unfortunately, comma, that wasn't quite enough to get you on to my leader board. Better luck next time

Never mind.You calling me comma is reward enough :)

You did even better than I had thought on Q.3 as I got myself a bit confused. Grimsby play in Cleethorpes so Cleethorpes was an uninintended red herring. I think the second fish inflatable team I was thinking of was Fleetwood. I have now altered the record accordingly.