Archiving / digitising British comedy shows

Hi everyone.

I'm just curious to know if there has been any efforts among comedy enthusiasts to digitise / archive shows that are not available to buy or stream through official channels?

There are a few shows I'd really like to get a copy of that have never need released on video / DVD, and I doubt will ever get repeated again.

The show I'm most keen on watching again is Coming Of Age (BBC Three). I have the first series on DVD, but Series 2 and 3 haven't been repeated in nearly a decade. Some episodes do sneak onto YouTube and Daily Motion from time to time, but the picture quality is terrible (360p, with lots of video compression).

If anybody on here can help me or give me some more information I'd be really grateful. Thanks in advance. - Elliott

Yes, plenty of people privately digitise and archive for exactly that reason. I don't think there's a single, concerted effort to do so though.

Quote: Aaron @ 2nd February 2021, 2:00 PM

Yes, plenty of people privately digitise and archive for exactly that reason. I don't think there's a single, concerted effort to do so though.

Have been recording TV shows for my own pleasure since my first VHS player in the mid 70s and have also during the years in between and up to now bought a number of recordings from other people who have had access (somehow!) to TV company archives - snuck out by some engineer?

Don't just rely on YT etc. - scour the web, you'll be surprised what you can find. OK, the quality might not always be top notch (copies of copies of copies etc.) but in my opinion, that image is better than nothing.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 2nd February 2021, 2:58 PM

the quality might not always be top notch (copies of copies of copies etc.) but in my opinion, that image is better than nothing.

Absolutely!