The Goon Show Page 4

SIX CHARLIES IN SEARCH OF AN AUTHOR.................

..................this week on R4+ and although The Goon Show is insane, this one is even more off the wall, when the characters each seem to type in their own lines with hilarious results.

Love the madness. Love the insanity. Love The Goons. SUPREME comedy.

"The Moriarty Murder Mystery" this week on R4+ and another chance for Sellers to give us yet again one of his many voices with his very creepy undertaker.

So funny this one with Spike, who is Count Jim "Knees" Moriarty, of course, in full flight, and Henry Crun with Minnie Bannister trying to master the X-Zylophone, had me in hysterics.

One of my favourites this week "The Call of the West". The dastardly Grytpype-Thynne selling saxophones to the Indians.

All three were on top form, especially Sellers with his range of voices, and I think this was the first one he used the term "Herns" for Americans.

Unusually, both Max Geldray (especially) and Ray Ellington had parts in this and the whole thing for me is hysterical.

:) I see you are on something of a mission with the pic.Good luck !

Quote: john tregorran @ 15th July 2021, 4:42 AM

:) I see you are on something of a mission with the pic.Good luck !

Thank you :) It's a long campaign with it being raised at various times, plus PMs etc.; but I don't understand the resistance. :(

**EDIT - Forgot the photo! :D And the reason I like this one so much (apart from them being the three ONLY original Goons), is Harry is the only one keeping a straight face - on many recordings you can hear Sellers and Milligan cracking up at each others lines. It must have been sheer heaven for them both when they did the shows (you can see both of them in the photo are on the verge of losing it), and Harry of course, did his fair share of impromptu giggling. LOVE IT!!

Yes, Harry wasn't overshadowed by the two stars. Doing the actual show must have been a big release for Spike after all the work he had put into it.

This week another classic and this time a rewrite, which is unusual for them, but in this instance made for a much funnier show - "Dishonoured - Again"

All three on the top of their game, with as always an astonishing range of voices from Peter.

So, so funny, and one of those I definitely never tire of listening to.

"The Last Goon Show of All" from 1972 was on this morning, and very funny of course, in bringing back everyone on stage, which was televised (I have a DVD recording).

Peter, Spike and Harry of course AND NO Michael Bentine - Aaron please note! with Ray Ellington and Max Geldray, but sadly no Wallace Greenslade (the announcer) who had died 10 years previous, so the original announcer Andrew Timothy (father of Christopher) stepped in.

Wonderful stuff.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 14th September 2021, 9:24 AM

"The Last Goon Show of All" from 1972 was on this morning, and very funny of course, in bringing back everyone on stage, which was televised (I have a DVD recording).

Peter, Spike and Harry of course AND NO Michael Bentine - Aaron please note! with Ray Ellington and Max Geldray, but sadly no Wallace Greenslade (the announcer) who had died 10 years previous, so the original announcer Andrew Timothy (father of Christopher) stepped in.

Wonderful stuff.

It's on BBC4 10.15 tonight (Tuesday). Preceded by Peter Sellers: A State of Comic Ecstasy.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 26th October 2021, 8:51 AM

It's on BBC4 10.15 tonight (Tuesday). Preceded by Peter Sellers: A State of Comic Ecstasy.

Yes, thank you, Billy. I have the digi-box set. I didn't offer a reminder as I keep thinking (or forgot) I'm the only one on here who is a Goons nutcase.

You're not the only one Herc and I'm watching it on catch-up now.

"You turn the knob on your side."

"I haven't got a knob on my side."

Just finished watching it myself, absolutely hilarious, and everyone so relaxed...

Did anyone happen to see Michael Bentine on the stage?

For posterior - from the now locked s duplicate The Goon Show :-

I listened to one the other day where the musicians had gone on strike (really!).