The Science Thread Page 5

Me too.

From the department of reviving old threads........................as is my want now and then. :D

Any budding scientific chemists out there?

I cannot find a definitive answer to this online, and in fact all I can find relating to defrosted foods completely contradicts my experience.
I've been counting calories and notice on a bag of McCain frozen chips that there were 50 more calories in them after they had been oven baked.....................

QUESTION 1. Why is that?

AND

While I was weighting a portion of the frozen chips I noticed, within a few seconds that the weight started to go up! I was gobsmacked so left it on the scales a bit longer and blow me down, the weight continued to rise about a gram every 10 seconds. Wha!?
Online all I can find is that food will weigh LESS as it defrosts as the water runs away, which is logical, BUT I've now found an anomaly to that and cannot understand what is going on.

QUESTION 2. Why, despite advice online, would defrosted food weigh more than frozen? Does water weigh more than ice? Is that the answer?

You weigh(t) your frozen chips? I just pour some out of the bag.

Quote: Chappers @ 22nd January 2021, 5:40 PM

You weigh(t) your frozen chips? I just pour some out of the bag.

You've clearly just glanced at my post and given a knee jerk reaction as per usual Angry - if you are counting calories you have to weigh your portion, otherwise how are you going to know what your intake is?

Ice floats on the top of water,you'd think if it was heavier it would be on the bottom.
Although I failed Physics O level so I wouldn't trust my hypothesis

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 22nd January 2021, 4:16 PM

I've been counting calories and notice on a bag of McCain frozen chips that there were 50 more calories in them after they had been oven baked.....................
QUESTION 1. Why is that?

Not a scientist but I like chips. Cooking food increases calories, as caveman discovered. ie. you'll get more energy to do things eating cooked food. (Fire was the main catalyst in man's evolution.)

Quote: john tregorran @ 23rd January 2021, 2:17 AM

Ice floats on the top of water,you'd think if it was heavier it would be on the bottom.
Although I failed Physics O level so I wouldn't trust my hypothesis

Hmm yers, thanks for that Treggers (if I may call you that in a chummy cricket sort of way :D).
In a similar vein, what went through my head was water expands when it freezes, hence burst frozen water pipes when they defrost - even to the extent they will crack an car engine block if you don't keep your anti-freeze level topped up.

Still not sure if that explains why my portion of frozen chips slowly increased in weight as I watched them on the scales. Can't get my head around that.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 23rd January 2021, 4:08 AM

Not a scientist but I like chips. Cooking food increases calories, as caveman discovered. ie. you'll get more energy to do things eating cooked food. (Fire was the main catalyst in man's evolution.)

Again hmm, and thanks Kippers. I didn't know that, but why? I'm not sure if the cavemen knew that either - my theory is, some meat fell in their fire and they found it not only tenderised it, but it tasted better too.

I wonder if that's how kippers came about?

Have now received this explanation from a Science forum, which makes total sense.............

If you expose frozen chips to air, more moisture will condense on the chips from it. Every ml of water condensed from the air adds 1g to the chips..

The chips, after baking, lose moisture, which concentrates the calories, so if you now weigh 100g of baked chips there are more calories.

I will sleep well tonight. :)

What's a calorie?

Quote: Chappers @ 23rd January 2021, 12:07 PM

What's a calorie?

'swat makes yer fat, innit.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 23rd January 2021, 3:54 PM

'swat makes yer fat, innit.

I've never counted them or cared.

I am officially overweight but not obese. I think counting calories causes more problems.

Quote: Chappers @ 24th January 2021, 7:25 PM

I think counting calories causes more problems.

Like what?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 25th January 2021, 12:33 AM

Like what?

Anxiety. And anorexia.

Quote: Chappers @ 25th January 2021, 5:32 PM

Anxiety. And anorexia.

Oh yeah - lost 4lb. this week already. I'd better be careful!

If you're counting calories why are you eating oven chips? Damn tasty as they might be swap them for boiled and steamed potatoes for the much lower fat, carbs and salt content. With all those kcals in oven chips it's a lot of energy you have to burn off. I don't weigh rice and pasta but always use the same size tub for the steamer so I know I'm not cooking too much which is easily done with food that expands. I'm aiming to lose a stone in the next few months and the best diet is a calorific deficit which is burning more calories per day than you consume. It's not as hard as it seems but it does need a careful eye on what you're eating and checking labels with regular exercise. Low fat/high protein foods and carbs for energy to encourage exercise and burn those calories off. Some foods like bread, sugar, chocolate, dairy and other high fat, high calorie content foods need to be cut out or drastically reduced and monitored or the weight will never come off. I've got a new watch that has an app on my phone so it tracks all kinds of things like walking and jogging routes, heart rate and the different kinds of sleep I'm getting. The average adult should be getting 90 minutes of deep sleep over an eight hours kip to feel refreshed the next day.