My Wife Next Door

An early 70s sitcom starring John Alderton and Hannah Gordon. It's about a couple who divorced and they end up moving to the country to find out they are next door neighbours.

I find this a very funny sitcom and really enjoyed it. I thought it was really good, some funny moments in this. They also both starred in Upstairs Downstairs as well, but at different times, John Alderton was early on and Hannah Gordon at the latter stages of the show.

What are your thoughts on the show?

I did watch it, mainly for Hannah Gordon.
Typical Richard Waring young married couple misunderstandings thing.
It was entertaining but not outstanding IMO

A friend bought the box set a couple of years ago and we started watching it, one episode a week. By the time we got halfway through we'd got fed up with every episode following the same pattern of argument & falling out/reconciliation/lovey-dovey/argument & falling out. We saw it out to the bitter end just to see what happened in the final episode. Basically, argument & falling out/reconciliation/lovey-dovey/argument & falling out.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 17th January 2021, 11:09 AM

A friend bought the box set a couple of years ago and we started watching it, one episode a week. By the time we got halfway through we'd got fed up with every episode following the same pattern of argument & falling out/reconciliation/lovey-dovey/argument & falling out. We saw it out to the bitter end just to see what happened in the final episode. Basically, argument & falling out/reconciliation/lovey-dovey/argument & falling out.

Before I watched the final episode I was going to think that they would get back together officially by the end, but nope they didn't

As John said, it's not outstanding, but I do like it. And, amazingly, one of the very few things my parents remember watching and enjoying.

Recently bought the boxset. First watched it back in the 90s i recall on uk gold (i think). Still enjoyed it, as other said, the argue then make up cycle does get repetitive however - a few less episodes would have tightened things up. One question I'd love to know the answer to is where the cottages actually were - would be great to see them now? Can't find anything online.

Hannah Gordon was in the last of the M&W compilations tonight, having her dress blown off as she sung "Windmills of Your Mind" - although it wasn't windmills that were on my mind. ?

Then to finish off (and me) they showed the Cleopatra sketch, which is hilarious, with Glenda Jackson looking absolutely gorgeous and trying her best to keep a straight face as Eric was giving it both barrels - simply marvellous!

And .." I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order....." ?