The all-in-one consolidatory football thread Page 707

Manchester City and United in mid-table mediocrity. Arsenal trying to stay out of the relegation zone. I love it!

So, Donna Mick Albert Lewis.

Where exactly are we supposed to insert her hyphen?

Talk about pots and kettles.

Apparently he's got a little tetchy with (convicted rapist) Ched Evans because of "disciplinary issues." Apparently Evans had taken the piss out of him and Barton didn't like it.

This is the same Barton who stubbed a cigar out in the eye of a trainee player; jailed for assaulting somebody; oh - I can't list them all. Here is a timetable.

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/football/scottish-premiership/2016-2017/the-life-and-crimes-of-joey-barton-but-is-he-football-s-biggest-bad-boy_sto5860687/story.shtml

and the Guardian and the BBC love him.

I haven't got Sky or BT Sport but I'm just going to watch Boca v Santos Libertadores semi final first leg on BBC red button.

Thank goodness that Burnley knocked out Milton Keynes. I usually stick up for the underdogs - except when it involves Milton Keynes who really shouldn't exist.

Quote: Chappers @ 9th January 2021, 10:05 PM

Thank goodness that Burnley knocked out Milton Keynes. I usually stick up for the underdogs - except when it involves Milton Keynes who really shouldn't exist.

I heartily concur.

Turf Moor was of course the venue of Wimbledon's greatest triumph, back in 1974/75, when, as a Southern League club, they beat Burnley (7th in the top-flight) 1-0 in the 3rd round to set up a 4th round tie against the League champions, Leeds Utd, at Elland Road, who were duly held 0-0. And that was in the days before the FA Cup had become so devalued that the top teams put out weakened sides. Within 13 years of course, Wimbledon would win the FA Cup itself.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 10th January 2021, 10:31 AM

I heartily concur.

Turf Moor was of course the venue of Wimbledon's greatest triumph, back in 1974/75, when, as a Southern League club, they beat Burnley (7th in the top-flight) 1-0 in the 3rd round to set up a 4th round tie against the League champions, Leeds Utd, at Elland Road, who were duly held 0-0. And that was in the days before the FA Cup had become so devalued that the top teams put out weakened sides. Within 13 years of course, Wimbledon would win the FA Cup itself.

And I went to the replay rearranged for Selhurst Park because someone cocked up the ticketing for Plough Lane.

Quote: Chappers @ 13th December 2020, 8:55 PM

Manchester City and United in mid-table mediocrity. Arsenal trying to stay out of the relegation zone. I love it!

How things can change in one month eh. MU will be League leaders on Tuesday, ManCity back to 2nd/3rd in a few days and the gooners will be chasing top six again. And Chelsea may be mid table. :) The smug scouse gits will be hanging on to a top 4 spot and Klopp will be blaming the schedule for player burnout even though he chose to play Salah, Mane & Firmino against a youth team in the FA cup.

Quote: Chappers @ 10th January 2021, 11:45 AM

And I went to the replay rearranged for Selhurst Park because someone cocked up the ticketing for Plough Lane.

Yes, I was at Turf Moor, Elland Road and Selhurst Park.

I don't think the ticketing was cocked up. The replay was scheduled for the Tuesday following the original game and 15,000 tickets (capacity) were sold. However, the game was cancelled due to a waterlogged pitch and by that time it was evident that there were far more people wanting to attend than there were tickets available. So a decision was taken, for financial reasons, to switch the game to a nearby league ground - as was often done by non-league clubs in such circumstances in those days. Accordingly 46,000+ were at Selhurst Park for the replay.

Jimmy Greaves finally gets a gong, is it a Knighthood to match his winning world cup place usurper who got his more than 20 years ago seemingly for one game he didn't deserve to play in? No it's a piddly MBE for being England's most prolific and talented goal scorer until he was dumped by a miserable old bastard who turned footballers into robotic fitness freaks and was deeply jealous of Greaves' casual talent, thereby denying him both his rightful day of glory in the biggest of all games, ending his England career and a certain goal scoring record which would still be unbeaten today.

As a measure of Jimmy's true greatness, he accepted it with immense pride and humility. You don't need meaningless tokenistic royal honours Jimmy, you know the world will sing your praises far more than those of the usual safe picks awarded knighthoods. England

Listening to Arsène Wenger on Desert Island Discs, he was questioned about being offered the MU job when Ferguson hinted at retiring, but he wouldn't be drawn on it, even refusing to say what year it was offered to him.

Anyone know?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 10th January 2021, 11:58 AM

How things can change in one month eh. MU will be League leaders on Tuesday, ManCity back to 2nd/3rd in a few days and the gooners will be chasing top six again. And Chelsea may be mid table. :) The smug scouse gits will be hanging on to a top 4 spot and Klopp will be blaming the schedule for player burnout even though he chose to play Salah, Mane & Firmino against a youth team in the FA cup.

Surprised he hasn't moaned about not having a mid-season break.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 10th January 2021, 12:38 PM

Jimmy Greaves finally gets a gong, is it a Knighthood to match his winning world cup place usurper who got his more than 20 years ago seemingly for one game he didn't deserve to play in? No it's a piddly MBE for being England's most prolific and talented goal scorer until he was dumped by a miserable old bastard who turned footballers into robotic fitness freaks and was deeply jealous of Greaves' casual talent, thereby denying him both his rightful day of glory in the biggest of all games, ending his England career and a certain goal scoring record which would still be unbeaten today.

As a measure of Jimmy's true greatness, he accepted it with immense pride and humility. You don't need meaningless tokenistic royal honours Jimmy, you know the world will sing your praises far more than those of the usual safe picks awarded knighthoods. England

And he got all those England goals when they played fewer games, and "friendlies" were anything but.

Just watching Marine v Spurs. For the 3rd goal what happened about the rule where attacking players aren't allowed within a yard of the wall?

Given up watching at 4-0. No contest.

I really cannot understand how Celtic could justify their recent trip to Dubai. Why was it allowed?

Shit! They're top of the league. Why didn't I put money on them so i wouldn't be too disappointed if they won the league. Last season I had a tenner on them at 28-1.