Talking Pictures TV Page 9

You may have mentioned it before Herc but I see that "the Ghosts of Berkeley Square" is on at 2.30. Is it worth a watch?

Quote: Chappers @ 31st December 2020, 12:38 PM

You may have mentioned it before Herc but I see that "the Ghosts of Berkeley Square" is on at 2.30. Is it worth a watch?

Sorry, bit late now, but I found it a bit tedious - certainly not one I would watch again.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 31st December 2020, 2:51 PM

Sorry, bit late now, but I found it a bit tedious - certainly not one I would watch again.

Oh well I quite enjoyed it.

Waverley Steps: A Visit to Edinburgh (1948)

One of those brilliant documentaries using people of the city each subtly linked to one and other with a Dane off a visiting cargo ship to add to the mix.

Starts off at 5am with a passenger train pulled by a magnificent LNER Class A4 streamlined engine coming into Waverley station Edinburgh, and then shows different trades people, business people, the law and people from all walks of life over the next 24 hours.

Most enjoyable.

Look At Life coming to TPTV in May.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 14th April 2021, 9:02 PM

Look At Life coming to TPTV in May.

Make that the end of April... This week's offerings under the Look at Life banner:

Coffee Bars (1959) on Monday at 6.30pm. A look at the bohemian coffee bars of London's Soho in the 1950s. visit the 2i's and many more with not a cup of tea in sight!

Driving Test (1959) on Tuesday at 7.45pm. Driving school tuition, including the innovative mock-up car with moving lights, the junior driver course and the training of police drivers and London bus drivers. Watch out for green Ford Cortinas!

Letting Off Steam (1959) on Wednesday at 6.35pm. Celebrating British Railways' change of technology as it brings in the modern age of commuter travel. Narrated by Tim Turner.

Talking of Coaches (August) 1959) on Friday at 6.30pm. A look at the modern phenomenon of the well-equipped motor coach, with a view of life from a coach during a tour from London to Rome.

Derby Day (1959) on Saturday at 6.35pm. A fascinating look at all that goes into making Epsom derby day one of the biggest racing days of the year.

Dustmen's Day on Saturday at 8.45pm. Made in the 60s, narrated by Sidney James - a day in the life of a 'dusty' and an insight into the particular problems of refuse disposal.

Digi-box already set (from my weekly TV mag perusal). Trouble is I bought a DVD of some of them years ago, thinking they would never appear on TV. Angry

Tickets for An evening with Noel & Sarah Cronin-Stanley in Wanstead on Tuesday 8 June:

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/an-evening-with-talking-pictures-tv-noel-cronin-sarah-stanley-cronin-tickets-150726824991

I'm jealous

Talking Pictures TV featured in the latest issue of Radio Times:

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 25th April 2021, 5:12 PM

Make that the end of April... This week's offerings under the Look at Life banner:

Have recorded 24 in total and now they are being regularly repeated, so I reckon that is it.

So, time to burn them to DVD and save for posterior.

There's been some great ones too! Love this sort of thing. :D

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 16th June 2021, 3:40 PM

Talking Pictures TV featured in the latest issue of Radio Times:

Expect to be banned soon, so just wanted to say this afore I go :)

Excellent article, and thank you for highlighting it Billy, but £3.50!! Dear oh dear, that is dear.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 19th June 2021, 12:07 AM

Excellent article, and thank you for highlighting it Billy, but £3.50!! Dear oh dear, that is dear.

£3.50 per week? The Racing Post is £3.90 per day. Although of course that pays for itself. Errr

Well, gleaning all I need from the Weekend TV magazine (which I've just done as my Sat. morning ritual), basically costs me nothing as it comes with my wife's newspaper, so £3.50 does sound expensive, and may I point out that I am not a rich follower of the turf. Whistling nnocently

Here are two from my collection, where the 1924 edition is 6d (2½p) and the 1994 copy at £1.30, where are you will see they replicated the front cover, BUT removed the smoking requisites! That must have stopped zero people from taking up smoking!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 17th June 2021, 9:16 AM

Have recorded 24 in total and now they are being regularly repeated, so I reckon that is it.

So, time to burn them to DVD and save for posterior.

There's been some great ones too! Love this sort of thing. :D

Whoops, they've started up again (Look at Life), so they must have found some new ones :D Glad I didn't finalise my DVD as this week there was "A Dog's Life"

"Carry on London!"................