The Persuasionists Page 24

Then that would make Rent a Ghost a traditional prime time sitcom. Lab Rats really should have been put on CBeebies, as the critics said.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ February 12 2010, 10:48 PM GMT

Then that would make Rent a Ghost a traditional prime time sitcom. Lab Rats really should have been put on CBeebies, as the critics said.

Critics are only people, their opinion is no more valid than anyone elses.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ February 13 2010, 2:50 AM GMT

In the same way that (admittedly great) sitcoms The Goodies and Father Ted weren't - it was far too silly. The setting was traditional but being that silly and visually cartoonish still isn't traditional, not for prime time sitcoms. But the way things are going, it could be, in the future.

Errr Well ... fair enough.

Well, I quite enjoyed the finale. I'd say there's something in the region of 0% chance it'll be returning for a second series, which is a pity. It wasn't the best sitcom (by far), but it certainly wasn't the worst, and had more than enough room to grow. Oh well.

I actaully liked the episode when they swapped jobs. Adam's Parkour was quite impressive. I also liked Daisy's stalker character, I'd quite like a person to shout at occasionally.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 13 2010, 4:38 AM GMT

Critics are only people, their opinion is no more valid than anyone elses.

Except to writers, performers, producers and commissioners. :(

It was alright in the end. Not a classic by any means, but relatively harmless and quite funny in places.

It certainly got much better than the first episode would have suggested.

Dan

Interesting view from proper comedy-writer, James Cary: http://sitcomgeek.blogspot.com/2010/02/i-dont-know-when-to-be-happy-for-you.html

Dan

Does anyone have the ratings for the final episode?

Fair play to Adam Buxton... :D

https://www.comedy.co.uk/live/circuit_training/adam_buxton_interview/

'The Persuasionists was quite a contentious topic a few months back: how do you look back on it now?

When you're involved with something that successful it changes you but I've done my best to keep my feet on the ground. The beginning of the year after the show went out was pretty crazy, just non-stop parties and award ceremonies and gold food and sluts. Angelina Jolie would ring up constantly and ask me to do bits of her favourite Persuasionists episodes down the phone. She'd put me on speaker so Brad and the kids could hear too and I'd do the bit about inventing a slogan for Cockney Cheese and they'd roar with laughter and beg me to go to Hollywood but I decided against it.

I know a lot of British comedians seem to think going to Hollywood is the apex of a successful career but I've always been very keen to keep it real and stay in the UK. I got a lot of incredible film offers but I passed most of them on to Jonah Hill and the rest to Zach Galifianakis who need the work. I was worried that The Persuasionists was getting too successful so we've decided not to do any more and never release it on DVD or repeat it ever again anywhere to stop people getting tired of it, although admittedly, it's hard to imagine that ever happening.'

:D
Bless him.

I don't think I've seen anyone mention it online, but the theme music for this was awful. Royalty-free comedy music and an unfitting vocal.

This banger: