King Gary is back Page 2

Series steadily goes from bad to worse. None of the characters is slightly likeable: next door neighbor Stuart is a pretentious ponce - "I'll have a craft ale" - who derides Gary's friends to his face!

It wasn't my thing so I only stayed for a few minutes. Not a fan of this stilted pseudo realistic style of acting, it's all posture and cliched phrases and delivery. When the scripts are good and funny it's not so bad, when they are ordinary to banal it can be excruciating. Seemed to be another vehicle rubber stamped for a big personality, despite weak material. Comedians are handed sitcoms on a plate others wouldn't get a look in with.

I don't think there's ever been a sitcom that has divided opinion so dramatically on BCG.

I've just watched Episode 4 and I thought it was excellent - a huge step up from previous episodes, all of which were pretty decent in my opinion.

As an exercise in dialogue-writing for multiple characters, it was as good as anything I've ever seen either on TV, or in a Hollywood movie or any other kind of film. I may be exaggerating a little but, even if I am, the dialogue was wonderfully written. Very few comedy writers can produce rapidfire, interesting, characterful dialogue like that and keep it up so long.

Based on Episode 4, this is one of the best sitcoms of modern times.

And, as for the performances of the actors, they were once again superb.

Davis specifically mentioned that he liked This Country in an interview he gave for this, and I think you can kind of see that here.

In the case of both, it doesn't all work but it's enjoyable enough on the whole. There's some good tongue-in-cheek dialogue and reasonably well-observed, if underdeveloped, characters.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 1st February 2020, 5:19 AM

I don't think there's ever been a sitcom that has divided opinion so dramatically on BCG.

I've just watched Episode 4 and I thought it was excellent - a huge step up from previous episodes, all of which were pretty decent in my opinion.

As an exercise in dialogue-writing for multiple characters, it was as good as anything I've ever seen either on TV, or in a Hollywood movie or any other kind of film. I may be exaggerating a little but, even if I am, the dialogue was wonderfully written. Very few comedy writers can produce rapidfire, interesting, characterful dialogue like that and keep it up so long.

I can only assume that you're being ironic?

Quote: jsg @ 1st February 2020, 6:14 AM

Davis specifically mentioned that he liked This Country in an interview he gave for this, and I think you can kind of see that here.

In the case of both, it doesn't all work but it's enjoyable enough on the whole. There's some good tongue-in-cheek dialogue and reasonably well-observed, if underdeveloped, characters.

Well observed characters?

Quote: Rood Eye @ 1st February 2020, 5:19 AM

Now I know you're on a wind up.

King Gary is back indeed - Appears it has a second series.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/5637/king_gary_series_2/

The BBC has commissioned a second series of this drivel? Really? WTF!

2020 crimbo special was anything but. Supposedly set doing this damn pandemic I saw zero social distancing or even reference to it!

From what I saw of the taster - no thank you. I want to be entertained and have a laugh.

I enjoyed the Christmas Special and I am eagerly looking forward to the second series. In regards to reference of COVID-19, I don't think it was mentioned in the episode and all of the actors would have been tested prior to filming anyway, so what is the issue?

Also, some shows have had actors/participants form a 'bubble' beforehand (like Strictly Come Dancing and others) so the cast may have been quarantining before too.

It was good for me,
big quasi social groups conformity (social networks influence) translated in freer exhibit of emotions, hence this "sitcom in our time".
)))

Quote: rrr 969 @ 1st January 2021, 6:51 AM

It was good for me,
big quasi social groups conformity (social networks influence) translated in freer exhibit of emotions, hence this "sitcom in our time".
)))

Eh?

I wondered that too. Though being in Ukraine, maybe English isn't their first language and it was just about people getting together. Remember Christmas was meant to be a "freedom day" style opening (then the gov put a stop to it) so the cast probably "bubbled" to be able to show a Christmas without social distancing etc. And that post was before 7am on New Years Day... Hangover? :D

Bump is apt though, it's back this week. I knew there was a 2nd series coming though the first I've actually heard of it coming soon was the front of a TV mag while shopping, seen no promotion of it from BBC!

Thanks to this very site I know it's 9:30 Friday.