Is Coronation Street 'comedy'?

I know Ken Barlowe isn't known for his knowledge of knock knock jokes, but is Corro 'comedic' in parts? Must say I always thought the like of Jack, Vera, Eddie Yates, Hilda and Stan could've crossed over into comedy land, certainly a lot cheerier than the depression inducing Eastenders. Of course, I am referring to the old episodes on ITV 4 in the morning, don't know who's on it now.

I really don't watch it nowadays but i know in the past (that's English for 'back in the day') it used to have dollops of humour.

Eastenders to my mind has no redeeming features whatsoever but I enjoy Emmerdale which again does have some droplets of humour although it's getting a bit grim.

I'm not much of a watcher of soaps but I recollect Coronation St has had some amusing characters in the past.There was one scene with a wig in a car that made me laugh out loud about 30 years ago perhaps.

I think 'I say our Ashley' Fred Elliott could've easily been a character in a comedy show, Last of the Summer Wine types.

I've never religiously watched, but when Blanch was alive, she was comedy gold - just you tube her postman pat rant, it's genius. Same could be said for Norris Cole

Everything has an element of humour... It doesn't mean the whole thing is a comedy. I think it's hilarious in The Bell Jar when she's talking to her dick of a boyfriend and can't get through, but Sylvia Plath isn't my first choice for knockabout fun.

Quote: Chappers @ 11th December 2020, 9:07 PM

Eastenders to my mind has no redeeming features whatsoever

Sophie Lawrence on TOTP in 1991. Hilarious.

I've never been a regular Corrie watcher but have seen some episodes and watched it a lot during the days of that mechanic that got stabbed. Poor f**ker as Paul Calf would say.

I'm from up north so get the humour and it's more the kitchen sink drama type of humour where you find something funny in a bad situation.

Quote: Bob Carolvorderman @ 11th December 2020, 8:58 PM

I know Ken Barlowe isn't known for his knowledge of knock knock jokes, but is Corro 'comedic' in parts? Must say I always thought the like of Jack, Vera, Eddie Yates, Hilda and Stan could've crossed over into comedy land, certainly a lot cheerier than the depression inducing Eastenders. Of course, I am referring to the old episodes on ITV 4 in the morning, don't know who's on it now.

It's not comedy in the sense that it does not set out to make the viewer laugh as its primary objective; however, as has been said above, in an ostensible attempt to depict 'real' people and 'real life' (in tone, if not events), it - like so many other dramas - does use comedy at times.

It's interesting that you highlight older episodes in particular: I'm not sure exactly how old you're viewing, or when this stopped, but when the series first launched many of its writers were also sitcom writers, such as Vince Powell and Harry Driver. It was then a much lighter and more recognisably 'sitcommy' programme.

The ones on in the morning are circa early 90s, I know what you mean, it's not 'ha ha' comedic but I think it's maybe the characters themselves. I'm from the Midlands and I think the Midlands and the North do share a similar culture but I have never really liked EastEnders, just seems a lot of angry people shouting at other angry people. I'd take Percy Sugden over Frank Butcher any day. I suppose this is why Les Dennis and Dustin Gee found it so easy for folks to embrace their Mavis and Vera act as both characters were firm favourites and so well known.

Quote: Bob Carolvorderman @ 23rd December 2020, 6:14 PM

The ones on in the morning are circa early 90's, I know what you mean, it's not 'ha ha' comedic but I think it's maybe the characters themselves. I'm from the Midlands and I think the Midlands and the North do share a similar culture but I have never really liked Eastenders, just seems a lot of angry people shouting at other angry people. I'd take Percy Sugden over Frank Butcher any day. I suppose this is why Les Dennis and Dustin Gee found it so easy for folks to embrace their Mavis and Vera act as both characters were firm favourites and so well known.

Where are you from in the Midlands?

I remember all those characters because that was a time when I was too young to go off and do my own thing so I had to sit and watch Corrie with my parents. It's had a lot of memorable actors and one of my favourites was Jack Duckworth even more so because Bill Tarmey was such a nice person and incredible singer. Obviously Julie Goodyear.