Idioms, catchphrases, sayings etc. Page 2

Quote: john tregorran @ 12th December 2020, 7:37 PM

"Do you or do you not?"
Russell Harty used to say that a lot and so do I.
"Ay-Thang-Yaw"
Arthur Askey used to say that a lot and so do I.
I also pronounce calibre like Hancock
"Stone me a man of my calibre"

No one understands me at all here.

You can now add "morningtons" to your repertoire of obscure British catchphrases (courtesy of Bunter). That should go down a treat on the Mornington Peninsula, where all the retirees are so charmingly earnest. In fact, you could probably open a successful stall at Red Hill Market, flogging handcrafted artisan boxes of Bunter's Mystery Morningtons for $9 a box.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 12th December 2020, 9:11 AM

Is there a phrase from TV or radio that sticks in your brain, and within your family?

Not really a catchphrase, per se, but I'm fond of saying "Good morning" and "Good evening" in the voice of the Goon Show character Grytpype-Thynne. And also use "Oh hello!" in the style of Charles Hawtrey when least appropriate.

Sadly, the most common "catchphrase" I use is "Oh for f**k's sake" from The Office and Extras. Not certain its popularity stemmed from those shows, but that's where I picked it up from.

The retirees are dead or left.It's full of commuting Melburnians who cut down trees and put up fences!!!
Obviously a sore point here,apologies for the outburst.:)

Quote: Kenneth @ 17th December 2020, 3:06 AM

Not really a catchphrase, per se, but I'm fond of saying "Good morning" and "Good evening" in the voice of the Goon Show character Grytpype-Thynne.

Good man. :D

Goons fanatic me, of course, and the one I use is when anyone appears on the television called Jim - I automatically say "Hello Jim" in the voice of Milligan, natch. Geek

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 17th December 2020, 5:55 AM

Goons fanatic me, of course, and the one I use is when anyone appears on the television called Jim - I automatically say "Hello Jim" in the voice of Milligan, natch. Geek

I don't like what he's doin', Pat. We oughta have a meetin' about it.

"He's fallen in the water" Is another favourite of Goonites,NOT mine though.

Piff Paff Poff I do say sometimes
(The High Life)

You big woman's blouse - you can go t'the foot of our stairs

Are you talking to me pal?
Because,
We've gone on holiday by mistake.

Quote: john tregorran @ 17th December 2020, 9:13 PM

Are you talking to me pal?
Because,
We've gone on holiday by mistake.

"Dont Drink The Water", right?

Brilliant series.

I loved Derek Griffiths until I realised he was about to try to seize control of Gibralter.

My favourite sitcom is gavin and Stacey

Therefore I never ever say anything even remotely amusing or humorous- ever

Quote: Kenneth @ 17th December 2020, 2:50 AM

You can now add "morningtons" to your repertoire of obscure British catchphrases (courtesy of Bunter). That should go down a treat on the Mornington Peninsula, where all the retirees are so charmingly earnest. In fact, you could probably open a successful stall at Red Hill Market, flogging handcrafted artisan boxes of Bunter's Mystery Morningtons for $9 a box.

Have you got a Crescent there?

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 12th December 2020, 11:14 AM

There was a comedy programme - can't even remember what it was now (1970s?) - in which one particular character used to enter the room saying "morningtons" (as opposed to "good morning"). I often still say "Morningtons" by way of a greeting. Nobody knows what I'm talking about of course but that's not unusual.

The Sun Trap?

Quote: Aaron @ 23rd April 2023, 6:58 PM

The Sun Trap?

By George he's got it. After all these years. I can die happy now. Well, not now necessarily but...

Thanks.

Not available anywhere unfortunately.

Quote: Will Cam @ 13th December 2020, 7:43 PM

2. "What, with these feet?"

Remind me. Hancock?

Porridge.