I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,240

Quote: Lazzard @ 13th December 2020, 10:03 PM

Thanks for the advice, you twat.
You don't know the first thing about my kids hopes and aspirations.
A better man than you would apologise for that comment.

A better man might.

Seemed to have touched a sore point there.

Let's all face facts. Our parents didn't join up against the Germans for them to finally rule us through the back door.

Quote: Chappers @ 15th December 2020, 8:11 PM

A better man might.

Let's all face facts. Our parents didn't join up against the Germans for them to finally rule us through the back door.

I think you've misunderstood how the EU works. It isn't run by Germany.
In the 1975 referendum on European Common Market membership; the vast majority of surviving British World War II veterans voted to stay in the EC not to leave. They knew as later generations reared on tabloid mythmaking did not, that the best hope for the future lay in unity and cooperation not isolation and division.

Quote: lofthouse @ 15th December 2020, 8:04 PM

You forgot to mention the glorious U.K. weather

I've been lucky so far. I'm expecting things to be grim and rainy in the Lake District in mid-March, so I guess I'll be buying some suitable clothing if Covid doesn't postpone the trip until the summer.

Let's all face facts. Our parents didn't join up against the Germans...

That phrase is about 50 years late, timing is important on a comedy forum Chappers.:)

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 15th December 2020, 8:40 PM

In the 1975 referendum on European Common Market membership; the vast majority of surviving British World War II veterans voted to stay in the EC not to leave.

Have you ANY proof of this assertion or is it yet another case of. "That's how it must have been!".

Besides which the referendum back in the 70's was a totally different situation.

Polling evidence at the time from a book. Pretty sure it was Dominic Sandbrook's Seasons of the Sun about the UK in the 70s. Sandbrook's generally a pretty conservative author.

Quote: DaButt @ 15th December 2020, 7:50 PM

I like traveling in general and I could find good things to say about everywhere I've visited. I love cask ale and pubs in general. The locals have always been friendly, there's no language barrier, and things are just different enough that it's a novelty, but not so much so that it feels like a different planet. That's how I feel a visit to a place like Japan or India would be.

One of these days I'll make it to Australia. I came very close to having to make a last-minute trip to the west for business, but it didn't materialize.

Friendly locals and lots of beer,Welcome to Australia.
Not much cask ale as yet though.What they call Best Bitter I would call lager.

Quote: billwill @ 15th December 2020, 9:03 PM

Have you ANY proof of this assertion or is it yet another case of. "That's how it must have been!".

Besides which the referendum back in the 70's was a totally different situation.

It was. We thought naively that we'd have at least an equal say about how it's run.

Don't forget that quaint old English phrase you hear in most British pubs "What the fooke are yew staringe at dycke hedd?"

A better man might.

One of the curious things about the Brussels EU is that in promoting itself to the world it continually tries to rewrite, or even erase, some of the most important facts about its history. While there are many examples of this, nowhere is it perhaps more apparent than in the image it tries to present of Walter Hallstein, the man who was the first president of the European Commission, the unelected executive body of Europe. Hallstein held this post between 1958 and 1967 and is described on the Brussels EU website as a "visionary leader" and a "diplomatic force" who propelled European integration. However, no mention whatsoever is given by the Brussels EU to the fact that before and during World War Two Hallstein was a member of official Nazi organizations

:)
That reminds me of Kurt Waldheim,Sec Gen of the United Nations in the 70's.Apparently unaware of all the Nazi war crimes going on around him during WW2.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 15th December 2020, 9:42 AM

There is nothing patriotic about embarking on a course which is clearly going to damage our economy and do our people harm.

What about saving you from a future of petty, business stifling rules, stopping our own laws being overturned, returning control of our own seas, stopping throwing billions of our taxpayers' money down the drain for no greater purpose than ensuring thousands of overpaid Eurocrats can live comfortably. And helping prevent a worsening of the housing crisis and helping to restore the balance of labour which once meant many of us had good job longevity with decent pay and overtime, pensions worth having and a decent quality of life. Is that unpatriotic too?

Quote: Lazzard @ 14th December 2020, 7:58 PM

There was lot's wrong - we should have spent more time trying to put it right.

And get absolutely nowhere. The intransigence of the EU is surely legend now, look at the trouble we're having striking a trade deal that will stop the 27 nations in the EU becoming worse off without one (as well as us). They just cannot let go of their precious rules and their control of us. That's the very reason we ended up voting to leave.

Any other major international institution would be having a serious internal enquiry to find out how they let their second largest fee payer go. Not the EU, they insist they must continue as before and try to punish the member leaving to discourage others from going, even though doing so will make all their remaining members worse off. Sorry but I find such pig headed arrogance both shocking and disturbing.

A better man might.

You've been watching too much Dad's Army, mate.
The civilised world's moved on - comedically and intellectually.
(Well, obviously some of us haven't)
The 'sore point' you refer to is the fact that when my kids were born, they could live, work and study anywhere in Europe.
Now, their shitty blue passport, foisted upon them by disgruntled old twats, is nigh on worthless .
Plans have been shelved, dreams put on hold - and for what?
At the very best a marginal decline in GDP (government figures) and a diminished role on the world's stage.
All so that the pub bores of England can totter round shouting "they don't like it up 'em!" & "two World Wars and One World Cup".
If it wasn't so sad it would be funny.

Quote: Lazzard @ 15th December 2020, 11:13 PM

and a diminished role on the world's stage.

Huh? You mean greatly enhanced. Very greatly enhanced. As a sole trading nation again and a newly independent country we will have far greater pulling power, especially with the larger defence force that's been promised. And what laws we pass won't be able to be quashed by the meddling EU.