The Albion Basement presents...1000 Sketches in 1000 Days

It's a stupid goal to set, isn't it? But. now we've set it, we can't back down. Even though we didn't tell anyone else. Except now, of course.

Join us daily from 1/12/20 for

- Good sketches
- Bad sketches
- Good sketches rendered bad by unrehearsed performance
- Bad sketches rendered good by copious giggling and passive-aggressive digs at the writers
- Cheap microphones
- Expensive microphones being employed with woeful technique
- A valuable insight into the creative process (occasional)
- A valueless insight into our ineptitude (constant)
- Other things

Pay a visit to https://anchor.fm/1000-sketches to hear our little teaser, then strap in from next week for the full experience.

Well, this is embarrassing!
We couldn't find the page you were looking for...
But if you're looking to make a podcast of your own, that's something we can help you with.

Link not going anywhere.

Sounds interesting

Quote: playfull @ 23rd November 2020, 11:11 PM

Well, this is embarrassing!
We couldn't find the page you were looking for...
But if you're looking to make a podcast of your own, that's something we can help you with.

Link not going anywhere.

Sounds interesting

Thanks Playfull, I appreciate you checking our sloppy work (gives you an idea of what level of professionalism to expect from the recordings, I dare say). There was a rogue comma in the URL, now fixed (I hope!)

Oh I see, just because I did 999 sketches in 999 days you just had to go one better didn't you ? Well I'm going to patronise the crap out of this (in a good way).

Ok, now i understand. That is a hell of a commitment! I might have a bet to see who sticks at it longer, you posting a sketch a day or Trump trying to hang on to the White House!

Will be listening on the 1st. Good luck and i hope you are all still friends when the last script is aired.

We already hate all our sketches and each other, so at least this process will put that animosity on record.

Keep an ear out for Skit Comp sketches from previous years :)

Thanks Playfull & Firkin for the supportive words (I'm open to non-supportive words too, because it is a bloody silly idea).

It's the end of the week in which 1000 Sketches launched*, and here are a few of the things you could experience at www.anchor.fm/1000-sketches

-Horse-spiel
-The dastardly devil
-Shit
-Chris Isaak
-The death of a collaborator

*Which is not the same as saying we've uploaded 7 sketches, so don't write in

F**king hell. Awesome.

Cheers, Michael.

It's certainly awesome in one respect. We're hoping the audacity of the project will outweigh the quality of the project.

We've achieved 1% of our target. The rest should be a doddle...

Off to a good start. Would this be a Guinness world record ? Think of the extra media coverage.

Quote: gappy @ 10th December 2020, 5:34 PM

We've achieved 1% of our target. The rest should be a doddle...

That's 4 per cent more than I normally manage.

Quote: Firkin @ 10th December 2020, 6:28 PM

Off to a good start. Would this be a Guinness world record ? Think of the extra media coverage.

I presume not. I mean, we might be the first people ever to try to upload 1000 individual sketches on consecutive mornings, but I'm sure there are daily podcasts that have been running for years and years. And, you're also assuming we don't get bored....

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 11th December 2020, 12:42 PM

That's 4 per cent more than I normally manage.

:D

Done the first 10, well done! You really have taken on a huge undertaking. A three year project!

Found it very interesting - with the group dynamic being very much to the fore. Wasn't sure about this at first, but when you put on a couple of the 'live' sketches, with no introduction, i realised the pre sketch casting chat formed a sort of warm up for the sketch. One small point though, I would have liked to know who wrote each sketch.

Found it useful to understand the difference (or more accurately, 'realise there is a difference), between the written sketch and the spoken sketch. Lots of food for thought.

Well done, keep going and i look forward to the next ten.

BTW I agree with Firkin re publicity. I know other pod casts have a mountain of casts but you are doing a thousand original scripts. it has to be worth making the enquiry. Or you could get listener's to sponsor a sketch? a Pound (or more) and you get your name attached to the podcast. You might raise a thousand or even more for a good cause?

Regards
Playfull

Thanks so much for listening!

Interesting points. We decided early on that just reading the sketches wouldn't quite be enough with so many to deal with, so the edited pre- and post-sketch chat was needed. I guess, as with lots of podcasts and the like it takes a few listens to understand the characters and dynamics.

Having said that, I'm not a fan of the casting, I think there are only so many times that "X, you can play Y" is interesting, and I maintain that letting people know the number and names of the characters involved detracts a little from the experience (you wouldn't know if you were experiencing the sketch in any other format). Just a little window into the creative process (AKA constant arguments).

Interestingly, you are one of a tiny handful of people reading this that knows my name, I wonder which one everybody else thinks I am...

Quote: playfull @ 11th December 2020, 9:21 PM

Found it useful to understand the difference (or more accurately, 'realise there is a difference), between the written sketch and the spoken sketch.

Yes, definitely. I recall I once swept the board in the skit comp (and this was years ago when there'd regularly be 10-15 entrants), so I insisted said sketch went into a show, only to discover that it got nary a chuckle, on either night we did the show. It really brought home to me the way that things that seem clever and diverting on the page don't necessarily work on the stage (and vice versa, of course).