Laxdale Hall (1953)

"Scotch on the Rocks" Crap Yank title

Delightful light comedy - no guffaw moments, but something that makes you smile throughout with its cosy tale of villagers on a remote Scottish island who refuse to pay road tax on the four cars the they own between them until the only rough track from the non-existent ferry terminal is made into a proper road..................and, er, an actual ferry terminal built.

And so, a young Raymond Huntley is sent from London with a barely recognisable (!) Fulton Mackay to explain why they won't get their demands, and that it's futile to get the postman to keep on "losing" the road tax summons.

Few faces I recognise from the likes of Dr Finlay's Casebook and Taggart, and a chubby cheeked 21 year old Prunella Scales as Fulton Mackay's love interest! Also Kynaston Reeves as the priest.

A very pleasant and amusing hour and a quarter, especially from normally rough diamond Scot Roddy McMillan as the island's undertaker who has the very underused funeral service he tries to run on the island.

YES, most enjoyable :)

I'm intrigued enough to put the DVD on my wish list :)

I think you'll like it - it's one of those films I would quite happily watch again, which is a compliment considering Aaron's opinion of my expectations of old British comedy films. :D

It's on Talking Pictures this week for anyone else who is curious.