What's your 'go-to' Christmas special sitcom? Page 5

Quote: smc4761 @ 11th December 2018, 6:48 PM

The sight of Liza Tarbuck sitting on the dickie seat of the side car is hilarious.

As evidenced in Upstart Crow, of which the pretty decent Christmas Special was showed again earlier, she's a good comedy foil.

Dad's Army Xmas special I think it was their last one also on earlier, one of the funniest episodes they did and is brilliantly performed by Arthur Lowe showing off his acting range. My only quibble with this (and the Three Oranges special) has always been the lack of Christmas in it. The VIP function plot cried out to be a Christmas do, as did the orange raffle. Seems minor but these little touches make all the difference imo when remembering great Xmas specials. The Christmas themed ones tend to be the more memorable. Clement and LeFrenais go down as the best Xmas special writers bar none in my book, hit gold with every one and they were Christmassy.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 26th December 2019, 6:07 AM

The Christmas themed ones tend to be the more memorable. Clement and LeFrenais go down as the best Xmas special writers bar none in my book, hit gold with every one and they were Christmassy.

Terry & June/Happy Ever After always did good Christmas-themed specials.

Well, amongst One Foot in the Grave's 'Endgame', 'Starbound' and 'The Wisdom of the Witch', I tend to watch every December:

-Blackadder's Christmas Carol
-Father Ted - Christmassy Ted
-Only Fools - Fatal Extraction, Mother Nature's Son & Christmas Trees
-Vicar of Dibley - Christmas Lunch Incident & Winter
-Men Behaving Badly - Jingle Balls
-Gavin & Stacey - Xmas specials 2008 & now 2019!
-The Office - part 1 & 2 Xmas special
-Porridge - No Way Out / The Movie (not a huge fan as such of 'The Desperate Hours'
-Dinnerladies - Christmas

Special mentions to any of the xmas specials (to which I cannot name them as there are quite a few that I watch merely out of tradition and not because they're memorable)

-Mrs Brown's Boys
-2.4 Children
-Birds of a Feather
-Last of the Summer Wine

I avoid them.Xmas specials are always pathetic.

Quote: OneFootinthePodcast @ 7th December 2020, 10:37 PM

Well, amongst One Foot in the Grave's 'Endgame', 'Starbound' and 'The Wisdom of the Witch', I tend to watch every December:

e

The only One Foot special I tend to revisit at Christmas is the 1990 Christmas Special, 'Who's Listening' as none of the others are Christmas-themed. Other Christmas Specials I tend to revisit every December are:-
Last Of The Summer Wine
Mrs. Brown's Boys
Bread - 1989 Christmas Special
Only Fools & Horses '81-'83 & '92 & '93 Specials
Father Ted
The Two Ronnies
The Thin Blue Line
Gavin & Stacey
Christmas Lights
Clash Of The Santas
The Royle Family
Keeping Up Appearances - 1991 Special
Citizen Khan
Bottom
Trollied
After You've Gone
Mount Pleasant
2Point4Children
Catherine Tate Show Specials
The Vicar of Dibley

There is more; but that's just some of the key one's I tend to re watch every December

I usually have the Two Ronnies playing in the background on the last day of term in my office. Although they're not Christmas themed, we usually have Bless This House or one of the On the Buses films on over the break due together general naff TV that's on

Click & Collect is quite a funny recent one-off comedy special in recent times.

Father Ted. Blackadder's Christmas Carol. League of Gentlemen and Inside No 9 ones are great too.

For me its Only Fools and Horses, Keeping Up Apperances, Benidorm, Last of the Summer Wine, Steptoe and Son, The Royle Family, Two Doors Down and Terry and June.

I can't say I have one, but every year I sing "get dressed, ye merry gentlemen", so I guess the answer is Cabin Pressure.

Any M&W Christmas show

The Two Ronnies did some great Christmas shows as well.

I am currently watching the 1991 Keeping Up Appearances Christmas Special "The Father Christmas Suit" a brillant episode, I'd say the best KUA special was of course "Sea Fever" which I'm going to watch later today.

The Still Game christmas/hogmanay episodes are terrific fun.
The last ever episode of Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads is a christmas special and is a hoot.

In recent years, I've discovered the Alas Smith & Jones 'Home Christmas Video' which is sublime.
Also, 'Click & Collect'.

Quote: john tregorran @ 7th December 2020, 10:48 PM

I avoid them.Xmas specials are always pathetic.

Give over.
Every single one?
You're a comedy fan right? Hence posting on a comedy forum. I'm afraid I find it hard to believe that you find all Xmas specials 'pathetic'.