Bless This House Page 11

Quote: Craig @ November 8 2006, 12:34 AM GMT

I bought Series 1 on DVD a month or two ago and through time I hope to buy more Series as I've always liked Bless This House as it has the comedy master Sid James and the delectable Sally Geeson in it.Great comedy as well.

I totally agree with you about Bless This House. Much better than today's smut-ridden rubbish.

One of the best sitcoms from the 70s. Has the classic Sid James and it deserves more praise and more people should watch this great show

The box set arrived this morning. Very looking forward to it because I loved Sid in HHH.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 28th June 2018, 8:17 PM

The box set arrived this morning. Very looking forward to it because I loved Sid in HHH.

Do so hope that you enjoy!

Am watching it on CXXTV and it's a lesson in what we are missing now in sitcoms. It's bright and breezy and funny if a bit corny and artificial looking by today's non studio dramady standards. It wouldn't have been, then. In my mind it's a model mainstream sitcom of the golden age, although not a classic. But the standard was so high then it made good sitcoms like this look middling next to the best. It was also a victim of BBC based snobbery that tried to make all ITV shows out to be naff.

There is no doubt in my mind that BTH is or would be sneered at by the current mob of TV commissioners who've been chivvied into turning sitcoms into depressingly realist post watershed vanity projects for mostly craftless self obsessed gobshite standups. :(

Not sure which modern sitcoms you are having a go at here. Which ones do you mean, specifically?
It's quite possible to appreciate the past without slagging off the present.

Yes, not all modern sitcoms are unfunny. I find Father Ted very good.

Same with music. Some people rubbish modern music. But I have bought LPs by both Blondie and Squeeze.

Always found Father Ted hilarious, and one has a number of 78s by modern combos.

"OK, one last time. These are SMALL. But the ones out there are FAR AWAY... Small... far away............." Laughing out loud

I'm not sure Father Ted - now more than 25 years old - can really be counted as modern. 'Modern' surely means the last 5 to 10 years, tops.

I thought he was being ironic. :|

It is said that Americans and comedy site editors don't get irony.

Er...................Aaron has PM'd me about this.

You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment.......................Whistling nnocently

Make no mistake: Father Ted IS old now. But it definitely has a zanier and much more modern sensibility than something old and traditional like Bless This House.
So not such a crazy conversation to have.

Reading an excellent book (for me) on the history of the local Hippodrome theatre and was surprised to see in the Chapter "Nudes - If It Moves, It's Rude!" a photo of Diana Coupland - she being one of the many nude ladies from the post war period who posed as Jane from the naughty cartoon strip in the Daily Mirror, that was very popular at the time as she mostly appeared without clothing of some sort.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 26th October 2020, 8:04 AM

Yes, not all modern sitcoms are unfunny. I find Father Ted very good.

Same with music. Some people rubbish modern music. But I have bought LPs by both Blondie and Squeeze.

Laughing out loud

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 26th October 2020, 4:22 PM

It is said that Americans and comedy site editors don't get irony.

:)