Detectorists - Series 1 Page 5

Quote: ScotiaNova @ 9th November 2014, 5:55 AM GMT

Like what?

Cor Blimey how about Miranda, Citizen Khan and Not Going Out for starters. All artificial looking because of it. Even Amstall, Whitehall and Perkins' were co-written. Well done to Crook for obviously saying 'No, I'm writing this.' because you can be sure they pressured him to use one of their teams.

Quote: ScotiaNova @ 9th November 2014, 5:55 AM GMT

Like what?
Vast majority of BBC sitcoms currently being made are clearly of an authorial voice, even ones that I don't rate such as Mrs Brown's Boys.
And as much a I loved Detectorists lets not call it being recommissioned on BBC4 a resounding success, put it on the network and see how well it fairs . . .

You have a point that there does seem to be a resurgence of authorial voice, but there is still a lot of interference from above. I doubt The Detectorists would have made it to the screen in its current form if it had been intended for a station other than BBC4. It will indeed be interesting to see how it fares if it gets a screening on BBC2. But everyone I know who has seen it loves it.

Thoroughly enjoyed this series. I see no reason why it shouldn't do well on BBC2, unless they put it on stupidly late at night like they do (or did) with American imports.

The only complaints I have are regarding the relationship between Mackenzie Crook and Rachael Stirling. Firstly, I can't believe in them as a real couple, as he seemed like a bit of a wet blanket with no real career prospects or anything. Secondly, she seemed to have no nice qualities, spending all her time belittling him and his hobbies. :( Maybe that's why they're together - no one else would put up with them! :)

Odd that. I thought Mckenzie Crook and Rachel Stirling were very convincing as a couple.

I can't comprehend how they could ever have met in the first place! Eh? And after they did meet, what attracted them to each other? They seem to have nothing in common. Of course, being single, I know nothing about relationships!

Is it too simple to merely say 'I LOVED THIS SHOW'?

I totally bought into the characters, the normality of it all and the insanely slow pace blended with the rather significant mysteries and plots.

Top stuff. MORE PLEASE!!

:D

Great to see another series coming, thoroughly enjoyed the build up of all the characters over the 6 episodes, very well written and produced.
Nice bits of humour mixed with typical frustrations of life, the home made lemon juice bit was a killer for me, watched that piece about 4 times on iPlayer, worth its weight in gold that was.

My sister put me onto this show, unfortumately after the last episode was screened. Consequently I had to watch it on iPlayer, and I was too late for episode one. Anyway, I loved it. A wonderfully understated bittersweet comedy, so refreshing when compared to some of the crap the BBC are peddling on its main channels.

I've just watched the first two episodes of the DVD and am really enjoying it. I cannot add a great deal more than what's been previously stated, but it's a little British gem. I particularly like the DMDC Club vibe as I really rate geeky topics.

I watched Series 1 and was hoping it would get funnier. I liked it but I thought it was a sitcom. It's more a sitdram. It was such a shame that in the last episode the were so close to finding what they were looking for. I like it and am looking forward to Series 2.

Quote: C-Fitz @ 3rd March 2015, 6:23 PM GMT

I watched Series 1 and was hoping it would get funnier. I liked it but I thought it was a sitcom. It's more a sitdram. It was such a shame that in the last episode the were so close to finding what they were looking for. I like it and am looking forward to Series 2.

I like the term 'sitdram' and hope that you copyright it before somebody else does! It sums up much of the comedy output these days IMHO.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 3rd March 2015, 7:31 PM GMT

I like the term 'sitdram' and hope that you copyright it before somebody else does! It sums up much of the comedy output these days IMHO.

Blue Nun, you're welcome to use it anytime you wish.

One of the advantages of advancing years is I'll be able to watch them all again in a couple of months and have no idea what happens next :-)

What a stunning programme. I love the subtlety of the writing, directing, characters, plot, humour. The location and filming is beautiful, Johnny Flynn's theme music is perfect and the pace and intricacy of this comedy is brilliant. I look forward to every episode and none has disappointed as I laugh and laugh at the very British idiosyncracies of this series. Well done cast and crew for a wonderfully original piece of work.

My son put me on to this show and I am so glad he did, I simply love it, it's so quintessentially British.
Packed cram full of quirky and idiosyncratic characters, with more foibles than you can shake the proverbial stick at.
I think that Becky and Andy have an atypical relationship full of ups and downs, from my personal experience that's fairly par for the course.
I am particularly looking forwards to seeing more episodes of what I consider, to be an excellent well observed and written comedy.