Frankie Howerd Page 3

Quote: Tim Walker @ April 14 2008, 3:51 PM BST

When I was 14 I was in the National Tour of the musical 'Oliver!'.

Whilst at the Bristol Hippodrome, I met Frankie when he 'came behind' to say hello to Victor Spinetti (who was playing Fagin). He did (I think) give my younger, cuter teenage body the look-over. You really had to see his wig up close to believe just how bad it was.

Duuuuuuuuuuuude.

Yeah, Aaron, it's all gone downhill from there.

Well could it get much higher?

That time of year again; happy 92nd birthday to the big H. I shall partake in some shows tonight and titter a lot. :)

Aaron - what about organising a whip round to buy his home and belongings and turn it into a comedy museum?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1261400/A-peek-inside-Frankie-Howerds-home-goes-sale-belongings.html

Yes I agree that would be a good idea, but would Frankie have liked it? Wasn't he very private about his home? The flat in Teddington that Benny Hill died in should be a museum too, but the same again, the extremely private Hill would turn in his grave at people trampling through his flat. Some TV company should set up rooms dedicated to these great men and their craft, and I believe they'd make money. 'And now we enter the Tommy Cooper room...'

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ March 29 2010, 1:02 PM GMT

'And now we enter the Tommy Cooper room...'

'...and here's the Bernard Manning toilet.'

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ March 29 2010, 12:57 PM GMT

Aaron - what about organising a whip round to buy his home and belongings and turn it into a comedy museum?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1261400/A-peek-inside-Frankie-Howerds-home-goes-sale-belongings.html

Honestly, if I had the money, I wouldn't think twice.

Start a fund-raising campaign!

Wouldn't know where to begin - and then I'd have to share it anyway!

Where would we be
Without the BCG

Noticed as I typed it, it became a short poem. :D Perhaps it could be a BCG slogan?

Anyway, I digress - thanks for the FH retrospective and the links at the bottom as I have just bought the "Frankie Howerd: On The Way I Lost It" biog. from Amazon - Hardback £2.81, absolute bargain!!
Was looking for another comedy biog. to read, so thank you BCG.

How can the juvenile Frankie be hundred years old?

Finally got to start on my "Frankie Howerd: On The Way I Lost It" from 1976 and have to say it is a far more interesting read than the Paul Daniels' biog. I have just finished.

Also very funny, and written in a way like he is telling you in person about his early life.

Had many a titter already and only up to page 37 :D

Watching the recent biodoc of him I noticed how Hancock like he was in his reactions. 'Madam please' and all that, with a slightly camper bent to it obviously. Kenneth Williams had that in his 'act' too. I've only seen the tiniest clips of Sid Field but of a different persona like the golfer. But on reading that biog feature on here of him, those three names were mentioned in who he greatly influenced. So I'll say 'Didn't he just.'