I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,225

Let's all bypass the record employment statement...it doesn't fit our agenda does it?

Clearly, you have your own agenda!
Besides, Trump inherited a very favourable economic situation from Obama. Unemployment was falling when Trump took over and continued to fall for a while, until this year when it shot up again. I'm really not sure Trump deserves much credit for this.

Trump may end up fleeing America

He has potential legal actions against him that could end up with imprisonment

"Gonna share a cell with big Bubba - it's gonna be great, so so great..."

Quote: lofthouse @ 17th November 2020, 7:58 PM

Trump may end up fleeing America

He has potential legal actions against him that could end up with imprisonment

"Gonna share a cell with big Bubba - it's gonna be great, so so great..."

I'm sure they'll welcome him in Scotchland.

So Boris announces they are going to bring forward by 10 years the banning of new petrol and diesel vehicles to 2030.

Can't see it. Just 10 years away? There needs to be another power source as I don't see the future being electric cars.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 17th November 2020, 7:19 PM

Let's all bypass the record employment statement...it doesn't fit our agenda does it?

More jobs were added under Obama.
The unemployment figures have been on a steady & even downward trajectory since 2010.
All Trump can claim is that he didn't f**k it up.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 18th November 2020, 9:13 AM

So Boris announces they are going to bring forward by 10 years the banning of new petrol and diesel vehicles to 2030.

Can't see it. Just 10 years away? There needs to be another power source as I don't see the future being electric cars.

It can't happen in that timespan. Not unless there is a breakthrough in battery technology.
The logistics are impossible.
30 million cars to be recharged every day. Ok maybe if you can park down your drive or outside your house.
Millions can't, what then, seeing as it takes hours for a full charge.
So in ten years millions of public charge points have to be reinstalled.

We've all been in queues for petrol or diesel and it's mildly irritating....imagine being in a queue for 4 hours to plug in.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 18th November 2020, 9:45 AM

We've all been in queues for petrol or diesel and it's mildly irritating....imagine being in a queue for 4 hours to plug in.

Long distance is the big problem.
I predict as we get nearer the time a compromise will be reached eg electric only in urban areas.
And perhaps an extension for hybrids, with legal requirements to use electric in certain areas.
The technology will catch up - but I'm not sure it'll be on time.
Either way a lot of people will be buying a petrol car in 2029 and making it last!

PS one of the least green things is the purchasing of new cars every three years - the amount of resources and energy required far outweighs any extra emissions from an ageing engine. Personally I run cars into the ground before changing.
Can't stand new car wankers.

Give up Lazzard, I'm not meant to laugh at your comments.

It most likely will not affect me at all. I'm in my 60's and a new car in 2029 will see me off to my maker before it's buggered.

I do laugh ironically at all this green stuff though. With China amongst others pumping out billions of tons of carbon a year with impunity.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 18th November 2020, 10:34 AM

It most likely will not affect me at all. I'm in my 60's and a new car in 2029 will see me off to my maker before it's buggered.

Me and all, mate.

Quote: Lazzard @ 18th November 2020, 9:57 AM

Personally I run cars into the ground before changing.
Can't stand new car wankers.

Me too. My last one went to car heaven via Philip Schofield.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 18th November 2020, 10:34 AM

It most likely will not affect me at all. I'm in my 60's and a new car in 2029 will see me off to my maker..................

I'll be doing well if I make it to 2029, let alone a f**king car. Teary

Quote: Lazzard @ 18th November 2020, 9:57 AM

Long distance is the big problem.

Can you picture loads of 50 ft. 40 ton artics all running low on or out of battery juice on the motorways. Utter insanity.

Electric is predicted to match the price of petrol cars by 2022, so come 2030 they could have enough power points for long distance and battery life is bound to have improved. Wouldn't that make it easy to switch ? The change is coming, even if we won't hear it. I also note local taxi's are already switching, and they're hawkish over cost efficiencies.

Quote: Firkin @ 19th November 2020, 10:21 AM

................ and battery life is bound to have improved.

Is it though. I somehow doubt it, and the graph shows "predicted" and sadly we all know what predictions can come to.

I still maintain a totally new, as yet undiscovered, power source is needed. Batteries are already archaic.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 19th November 2020, 10:38 AM

. Batteries are already archaic.

There's an immense amount of work going into battery development.
Electricity storage is the focus of so much work - nearly all alternative power generation systems produce electricity.
The timeline is the only question - that and distribution.
But these really are details.