Things that piss you off Page 1,791

Laughing out loud

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 2nd November 2020, 11:54 AM

When people go on Facebook and say, 'I've been through my friends list, and if you haven't been in touch for a year, you're off.' If someone doesn't get in touch with you for a year, not even on Facebook, they're not gonna give a f**k either way are they? You arrogant, self-obsessed, beyond deluded little prick.

It might be because they've been irreversibly banned.

What currently pisses me off is all the leaflets and envelopes from various charities arriving on my door mat or in the magazines I buy. It's not the charities that piss me off so much as the fact that there are so many I would love to give to but I really can't afford to. And what pisses me off also is the cost of all these leaflets etc. and the chief executives salaries.

Yep I agree

I stopped donating to charities a couple of years ago because as soon as I did - they literally bombard you with junk mail begging for more and more money

Fly tippers. Maybe it's because of the area I live in but my blood boils when I see something dumped like an old TV or fridge. Some people just can't be bothered to follow the rules and take it to the tip or get it collected. Free and quick to just dump it under the cover of darkness.

I'm not a violent person and don't wish harm on anyone but with flytippers I generally hope they come to physical harm. Nothing life threatening but certainly life changing. That'll learn 'em.

It's my local council that has brought fly tipping upon itself.
Every household must apply for a permit to use the tip

It was brought in to stop the professional rubbish movers using it for free.
No permit - no tip

So rather than pay, they fly tip.......and the council have to clear it up.

But what really annoys me is they go to all the trouble of catching them and when it comes to court it's "Now, you've been very naughty, but as it seems to be your first offence we will let you off with a stern warning" says, the magistrate as he wags his finger at them.
And they have sabre rattling fines of £1,000, £2,000, £5,000 £ Add your own figure fines, BUT they are never instigated. F**king useless and hopeless.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 8th November 2020, 8:46 AM

It was brought in to stop the professional rubbish movers using it for free.
No permit - no tip

So rather than pay, they fly tip.......and the council have to clear it up.

Good point and my tip has started a booking only system and are not even taking bookings at the moment because it's so busy. This was a few weeks ago before lockdown but they have been doing it on a booking only system since last year so it's not because of the lockdown influx.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 8th November 2020, 2:36 AM

Fly tippers. Maybe it's because of the area I live in but my blood boils when I see something dumped like an old TV or fridge.

Do you not have modern-day rag-and-bone men in the UK? That is to say, fellows with a van or truck, eagerly collecting discarded household appliances for repair (re-sale), salvage or recycling? Or a government-funded program to collect such stuff for free and then get it sorted: First, see if individual TVs or white-goods it be easily repaired and resold; if not, safely strip out any dangerous chemicals (from fridges), strip out any valuable metals, then recycle the remaining metal. plastic and glass components to make new items (which can be badged as Made from Recycled Plastic - which should be a marketing winner for anyone who claims they care about the environment)? Or does it mostly just get chucked in ground for future alien archeologists to admire?

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 8th November 2020, 8:46 AM

They've also killed off town centres with their Parking chargers. I once hosted a brain storming session for civil service Managers to come up with different ways of raising money. Never seen so many blank faces. The only two ideas were to put up parking chargers or put up fines. The rest of the time was spent saying no to all the private sector ideas. Still there was plenty of time for the buffet and "networking".

You know, they should ban Channel 5 from showing documentaries etc.

I was watching Paul Merton's "Heroes of Comedy" (usual fare I've seen similar to before) and YET AGAIN they showed 7 minutes of the programme and then had 5 minutes of adverts. FFS!!!!!!!

Quote: Kenneth @ 9th November 2020, 5:45 AM

Do you not have modern-day rag-and-bone men in the UK? That is to say, fellows with a van or truck, eagerly collecting discarded household appliances for repair (re-sale), salvage or recycling? Or a government-funded program to collect such stuff for free and then get it sorted: First, see if individual TVs or white-goods it be easily repaired and resold; if not, safely strip out any dangerous chemicals (from fridges), strip out any valuable metals, then recycle the remaining metal. plastic and glass components to make new items (which can be badged as Made from Recycled Plastic - which should be a marketing winner for anyone who claims they care about the environment)? Or does it mostly just get chucked in ground for future alien archeologists to admire?

There are people who make a living from it but you need to be licenced and a lot of people forget that part. There was a van that used to drive around here with the weirdest, loudest music playing on a loudspeaker to alert people. I think people are a bit more wary of that kind of dealings now and Councils encourage residents to use the bulky item collection they provide for a charge and items like fridge freezers, sofas and beds are taken away to a recycling centre. Small electrical items like kettles, toasters and radios can be put out with the weekly recycling and is taken at no charge. I put out a convector heater last week and they took it.

That's another gripe. People who overstuff their bins so the lids can't close even though the the lids need to be closed so it can be loaded on to the truck safely. The result is the bins get left, start rotting and attracting pests. Fortunately the street I live on is nothing like that and is pleasant but there are some streets not too far away that can be rather smelly.

Not far from the fridge freezer I saw dumped a few weeks ago which is still there, someone dumped a large empty fish tank in the car park of Go Outdoors close by. It was there for several days and people started using it as a bin (the irony) and then for target practice with stones leaving glass shards on the floor before it was finally taken away. It's these twats I can't stand because they have no concern for anyone else including dogs paws. I for one think dogs paws are sweetly pretty and I want to protect them.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 17th November 2020, 2:07 AM

Councils encourage residents to use the bulky item collection they provide for a charge and items like fridge freezers, sofas and beds are taken away to a recycling centre. Small electrical items like kettles, toasters and radios can be put out with the weekly recycling and is taken at no charge. I put out a convector heater last week and they took it.

Our council will take any bulky white goods away FOC, and on the other point, I always make sure the lid on all bins is down tight, as they say they will not collect it if it isn't. YET I see bins overstuffed all the time with bags on top etc. and you can see that with a bit of thought that cretin could squash the stuff down if they could be bothered. The bin men always take them away, BUT.........
As I say I always make sure mine is shut tight, because one day I'll get a bolshie bin man** who won't empty it.

**Bearing in mind the BBC's new ruling on Fisherpeople NOT FFS fishermen, that should read bin person. I'm now off to the shop as I have a slight sore throat and need some Fisherpeople's Friends.

Our dustbin men err refuse collectors err dustbin people have a woman on the crew.
She's not a Beryl Bogey type just an average woman.
But it's not the hard slog it used to be.
They wheel them to the lorry and the lorry does the graft.

Remember when the dustbin men came and they had to walk down your path and lift the heavy metal dustbins and tip them in the lorry. Then take them back down your drive.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 17th November 2020, 10:36 AM

Remember when the dustbin men came and they had to walk down your path and lift the heavy metal dustbins and tip them in the lorry. Then take them back down your drive.

Our tip the rubbish all down your front path if they didn't get a decent 'christmas box'.