Hancock's Half Hour Page 18

An interesting promo for Hancock's Half Hour, with Tony & Sid, that I came across on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjcIoRuh7kk&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR3jB9zqpLWgGv9o8zN5sqv0h0OPYlhPUurFSFnin3oLbZdq9PfvTzmdxjg

The promo didn't work in one household anyway.My BH's parents,keen TV watchers at the time,don't remember him at all.Sadly.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 24th August 2020, 10:35 PM

An interesting promo for Hancock's Half Hour, with Tony & Sid, that I came across on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjcIoRuh7kk&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR3jB9zqpLWgGv9o8zN5sqv0h0OPYlhPUurFSFnin3oLbZdq9PfvTzmdxjg

What a find! But sorry to see him reading idiot boards so early on.

But on to steam radio.................

This week on R4+, one of my all time favourites "Childhood Sweetheart", or as we called it for many years, when all we had was a reel to reel tape copy recorded from the original radio series, "Olive". who was his childhood sweetheart who he now had to meet again after 25 years.
"Olive, Olive, where for art thou Olive!?"

And interestingly, which I had forgotten, the coffee bar where she was going to meet him, after the original Cafe (Dirty Dicks) was now a laundry, run by Kenneth Williams, was on the corner of Oil Drum Lane - now where have we heard that name before, or even since. ;)

:) Oil Drum Lane does paint a certain less than salubrious picture.East Cheam always makes me smile,I don't think it actually exists.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 5th November 2020, 11:52 PM

And interestingly, which I had forgotten, the coffee bar where she was going to meet him, after the original Cafe (Dirty Dicks) was now a laundry, run by Kenneth Williams, was on the corner of Oil Drum Lane - now where have we heard that name before, or even since. ;)

The Larches, Oil Drum Lane was also the address at which Mr W Proctor, the previous borrower of "Lady Don't Fall Backwards", lived.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 6th November 2020, 10:34 AM

The Larches, Oil Drum Lane was also the address at which Mr W Proctor, the previous borrower of "Lady Don't Fall Backwards", lived.

I'd forgotten - I wonder if G or S had a hankering for living at an address like that.

The scene in the library is a classic for me, which never fails to make me laugh. Sid and Hugh, but Tony - sheer genius.

Eyes down for a lockdown game of Hancock's Half Hour...

One of those featured briefly on Bargain Hunt, lunchtime today in some artist's ephemera museum - she certainly had a lot of fascinating stuff covering a very varied range.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 9th November 2020, 3:12 PM

One of those featured briefly on Bargain Hunt, lunchtime today in some artist's ephemera museum - she certainly had a lot of fascinating stuff covering a very varied range.

Yes, that's what prompted me to look it out. The museum reminded me of my living room actually!

If I'd known about it that would certainly have been on my Christmas list.

They do appear on eBay now and then, but fetch good prices.

Quote: john tregorran @ 6th November 2020, 12:59 AM

:) Oil Drum Lane does paint a certain less than salubrious picture.East Cheam always makes me smile,I don't think it actually exists.

We've got North Cheam and Cheam Village. They've pinpointed Railway Cuttings, East Cheam as being Norman Road in Sutton close to the football ground.

Quote: Chappers @ 10th November 2020, 5:07 PM

We've got North Cheam and Cheam Village. They've pinpointed Railway Cuttings, East Cheam as being Norman Road in Sutton close to the football ground.

Who has?

That's near West Sutton station.

It's at the top (south end) of Western Road.

I have with hindsight to be honest here. You Chappers - and you know I adore you - are fake news, I am merely unsure, When I used to return from dodging the razor blades at the Jesus and Mary Chain so as to train it back in safety outside via Brixton - my turf so I knew I would get no nonsense there - I would fall asleep and go beyond my zone when I did end up in Cheam. That was the scariest bit. Jumping through over the barriers as the white artillery came for me. With .22 rifles and in British Transport Police uniforms.

Anyhow, I'd go down the local curry house near Cheam station and as I was scooping it up with my palms cos I forgot to ask for a utensil, I would wonder about Hancock on my way back to Grange Road and pondered whether he was on Salisbury Avenue but it is a bit posh. So in truth I don't know for sure but my daughter Alexa is providing me with lots of lovely Hancock stuff at the moment so I don't have to hear 300 Covid adverts each day. She is a good lass - very sturdy what with me having Ted to look after mainly - and she is fantastic at wiping Chciken Tikka Masala off me moosh with a wet flannel. Also, she runs me baths.