Only Connect Page 55

Quote: Kenneth @ 6th November 2020, 12:09 PM

The Chase would be great without all the forced hilarity and the gung-ho team tactic discussions. The Australian version of The Chase is actually easier to watch, despite having a host who is even more garrulous than Bradley.

Struth!

Whereas Bradley gurns his way through phony corpsing, the Aussie host is definitely an acquired taste. He's actually quite bright and funny, but plays to the "average Aussie" viewer, so dumbs down most of the stuff exiting his mouth at 100 miles an hour, while his arms and hands flap all over the place. He does ask questions faster than wor Bradley. Meanwhile, in a Chinese tearoom in Australia ...

I think I'd prefer The Chase and Pointless if they were on once a week rather than every bloody day. Both are basically good, but it's just too much and I'm bored of both of them.
I think I'd eventually even grow weary of the excellent Only Connect and Pointless if they were broadcast five days a week, for years too.
That said, my favourite at the moment is House of Games.

After Only Connect, University Challenge is tops. Then Mastermind. Minimal bantz. Then The Chase Australia. Then Eggheads, then the Brain of Britain radio, then Pointless, then the Chase UK. I'm not a fan of Richard Osman's solo shows. I did watch Two Tribes and one other one, which always seemed to have Debbie McGee on.

Countdown top then only connect

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 6th November 2020, 1:03 PM

I think I'd prefer The Chase and Pointless if they were on once a week rather than every bloody day. Both are basically good, but it's just too much and I'm bored of both of them.

You've hit the nail on the head there! Yes, on reflection, that's how I feel. Severe overload............ Sleepy

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 6th November 2020, 3:08 PM

Laughing out loud

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 6th November 2020, 3:08 PM

Are you due for an appearance on Only Connect?

'ere Herc.... are you getting any royalties from the new Only connect Book?
It's the second book of the series called The Difficult Second Quiz Book.

The reviews say that there are no new questions in it - just the same ones from the show.
Maybe some of yours eh.

Here's my latest one.

Dahlia
Regalia
Genitalia

??????

Answer

Rhineland-Westphalia

.........they are all alias but with an added syllabub each time.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 14th November 2020, 9:25 AM

'ere Herc.... are you getting any royalties from the new Only connect Book?
It's the second book of the series called The Difficult Second Quiz Book.

The reviews say that there are no new questions in it - just the same ones from the show.
Maybe some of yours eh.

Thanks Stephen, I'll check it out when I read the copy you said you would buy me for Christmas.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 14th November 2020, 12:55 PM

Here's my latest one.

Dahlia
Regalia
Genitalia

??????

Answer

Rhineland-Westphalia

.........they are all alias but with an added syllabub each time.

If I knew what it meant Horse, I would use it as it initially sounds good, but if it's about the "alia" endings, then it doesn't work with Dahlia.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 14th November 2020, 3:37 PM

If I knew what it meant Horse, I would use it as it initially sounds good, but if it's about the "alia" endings, then it doesn't work with Dahlia.

Eh? :D

I'm surprised how serious the contestants always look when their intros are read out. The intros are usually quite amusing but they always react as if they're sick of being reminded about them.

Matilda Alice Powles
Packet meal curry, 1970s, crap
The brightest of the asteroids

Answer : Vesta : Virgin of the Hearth, Home and Family

Matilda Alice Powles was, of course, comedy music hall star, Vesta Tilley.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 14th November 2020, 10:08 PM

Matilda Alice Powles
Packet meal curry, 1970s, crap
The brightest of the asteroids
Answer : Vesta : Virgin of the Hearth, Home and Family
Matilda Alice Powles was, of course, comedy music hall star, Vesta Tilley.

Now that, I might be able to use and saved for working on later. Thanks you Horse. :)

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 14th November 2020, 9:00 PM

I'm surprised how serious the contestants always look when their intros are read out. The intros are usually quite amusing but they always react as if they're sick of being reminded about them.

What I'm really tiring of is the stupid, unfunny parting jokes about Michael Portillo. The first one last year sometime wasn't that good, but now they're just f**king tiresome, AND she has such a smug look on her face, like she's just cracked the funniest joke ever, whereas they're..............Sleepy

Give it a rest Victoria and tell the person who is writing them to do the same.