Only Connect Page 54

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 11th January 2020, 12:12 PM

I see that Herc will have written for this show for six years come November...

Thank you Paul - how's my fan club going now? Speaking of which:-

So, there they were on the 23rd March all ready to go into the studio to record the next series and..............lockdown, so don't expect to see it for some months now - it would normally air around the start of September.

In the meantime, presumably to save all concerned twiddling their collective thumbs, we've been warned to be ready to pitch questions for Series 17 - the one after that, and also in the meantime we don't get paid until postponed one is recorded.........

Lucky I'm an eccentric millionaire.

Somehow they've managed to record nearly half of Series 16, which hopefully will be broadcast in September.

Just had email to say 14 Connections/Sequences and 7 Music Connections shortlisted out of the 88 I submitted for Series 17, so am pleased with that as me percentage has gone up dramatically. :)

Back for a socially distanced 16th series last night (Monday).

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 22nd September 2020, 8:33 PM

Back for a socially distanced 16th series last night (Monday).

Yes, and was a bit odd as they told me they had half the series done and dusted before March, but then I seem to remember they do not always screen them in the exact order they were recorded - not unless they started again. :S

Early days, but none of the questions were mine. :(

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 27th August 2020, 6:10 AM

Just had email to say 14 Connections/Sequences and 7 Music Connections shortlisted out of the 88 I submitted for Series 17, so am pleased with that as me percentage has gone up dramatically. :)

Didn't know you did that. Very impressive!

Victoria Coren-Mitchell was on great form on this week's episode too. She's much more confident than she used to be.
Doesn't do all those jokes about her drinking heavily which she used to do which always seemed a bit odd.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 23rd September 2020, 6:58 AM

Didn't know you did that. Very impressive!

Victoria Coren-Mitchell was on great form on this week's episode too. She's much more confident than she used to be.
Doesn't do all those jokes about her drinking heavily which she used to do which always seemed a bit odd.

Yes, thank you. Been doing it now for about 5 years and certainly not for the money!

I suspect that her jokes at the beginning and end are written for her by in house writers as about three years ago we had to also include some (jokey) trivia for each question.

Just watched this week's episode. None of the team members knew who Max Bygraves was and they thought "The Laughing Policeman" was "My Old Man's A Dustman".

Not that I got any of the connections but at least the fact that I knew two things that they didn't made me feel superior (or old).

One woman shouted 'are you mental?' at her husband during the Connecting Wall.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 5th November 2020, 9:07 PM

Just watched this week's episode. None of the team members knew who Max Bygraves was and they thought "The Laughing Policeman" was "My Old Man's A Dustman".

Not that I got any of the connections but at least the fact that I knew two things that they didn't made me feel superior (or old).

Sadly (or not), we are old enough to remember Max, but Charles Penrose was way before out time too, so there was no excuse for them not knowing either.

Got the last of the Missing Vowels "Romantic Flower Names" as I wrote that one. :D But it is not so obvious when you've sent loads in over a year ago and forgotten which ones they accepted, after the pitch, then the shortlist, AND sometimes they alter them.Grrrrrr Angry

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 6th November 2020, 12:04 AM

Sadly (or not), we are old enough to remember Max, but Charles Penrose was way before out time too, so there was no excuse for them not knowing either.

Got the last of the Missing Vowels "Romantic Flower Names" as I wrote that one. :D But it is not so obvious when you've sent loads in over a year ago and forgotten which ones they accepted, after the pitch, then the shortlist, AND sometimes they alter them.Grrrrrr Angry

As a matter of (slight) interest, when you picture Victoria Coren Mitchell with her cigar in her gob, is she playing bridge in your picture or simply on a beach? I only ask as she is coming round to mine next week to fix my boiler.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 5th November 2020, 9:22 PM

One woman shouted 'are you mental?' at her husband during the Connecting Wall.

Noted that and counted my blessings.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 6th November 2020, 12:04 AM

we are old enough to remember Max, but Charles Penrose was way before out time too, so there was no excuse for them not knowing either.

In the past year, over on Pointless, Alexander Armstrong is finally starting to weary of his nicely glib responses to arrant stupidity. When contestants say "it was before my time" or give some utterly imbecilic answer, he no longer chirpily agrees, nor enthuses with "good answer, let's see how many people said it." Instead, he takes pleasure in gently mocking them with mock outrage that is actually genuine derision. It's much more entertaining to watch than his bland niceness.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 5th November 2020, 9:07 PM

I would be applying for Only Connect in a flash, if I lived in the UK. I reckon it gets easier each year. You could be on my team and make me look more clever by fatuously disappearing for the final round; if you're with me?

Quote: Kenneth @ 6th November 2020, 7:35 AM

I would be applying for Only Connect in a flash, if I lived in the UK. I reckon it gets easier each year.

I hope so. At that rate, in 300 years I might actually be able to win an episode.

Quote: Kenneth @ 6th November 2020, 7:35 AM

In the past year, over on Pointless, Alexander Armstrong is finally starting to weary of his nicely glib responses to arrant stupidity. When contestants say "it was before my time" or give some utterly imbecilic answer, he no longer chirpily agrees, nor enthuses with "good answer, let's see how many people said it." Instead, he takes pleasure in gently mocking them with mock outrage that is actually genuine derision. It's much more entertaining to watch than his bland niceness.

And about bloody time too, but for me the "stain" is still there and see no reason to go back watching after three years of not because of his f**king awful 'bland niceness'. If they're shit then say so!! Angry

Mind you I'm also sick and tired of The Chase too. Same f**king words and intro from Bradley, same "catchphrases" from the chasers - don't they ever get fed up of sounding so trite? Clearly not with the obscene amounts of money they get paid.

No, the whole lot can f-off. I now catch up on what's on my digi-box hard drive or a DVD.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 6th November 2020, 9:01 AM

Mind you I'm also sick and tired of The Chase too. Same f**king words and intro from Bradley, same "catchphrases" from the chasers - don't they ever get fed up of sounding so trite? Clearly not with the obscene amounts of money they get paid.

The Chase would be great without all the forced hilarity and the gung-ho team tactic discussions. The Australian version of The Chase is actually easier to watch, despite having a host who is even more garrulous than Bradley.