A serious question about comedy

So, I have been a hardcore SNL viewer since the late 1980s, and Horatio Sanz never seemed like anything but a mediocre supporting player. Then after his appearances on CBB I've concluded that he is a comic genius, and arguably one of the best guests on the show.

How is this possible? How can I have such polarized responses to the same performer?

My only conclusion is the format and context have a significant impact on how much of the performer's talent shines. Does this mean we need to see comedians in different contexts, and that different types of comedians thrive in different formats?

What is SNL and CBB - asking for Martian.

Saturday Night Live?

Don't know Mr Sanz, but i do know the material matters. If he is more prominent on the show he will get a bigger say in his material.

I do watch a lot of old SNL but am having trouble placing him
But I've seen he does Billy Joel so I'll try and check that out to remind me

is CBB Celebrity Big Brother USA?

EDIT
Oh he's lost some weight, I know who he is now

Quote: Flook @ 31st October 2020, 4:19 PM

What is SNL and CBB - asking for Martian.

I'm that Martian.

I hate abbreviations because makes it looks like you're not part of the in-crowd if you've got no idea what it's all about.

It's been a long time since I've seen Saturday Night Live and am not familiar with the work of Horatio Sanz but like any comedy show that has multiple performers it's going to be cut throat competitive behind the scenes and there's the old saying it's not what you know it's who you know. Eventually it's probably better for the career to leave SNL to focus on other work before someone gets you fired.