Newsjack Series 23 - September 2020 Page 11

Thank f**k that's over.

Congrats King and Dantrobus. I was struggling with motivation this week and then I came across a story that was a joy to write a sketch about. The first line of the story?

Escaped self-cloning mutant crayfish created in experimental breeding programmes have invaded a Belgian cemetery.

I mean there were so many angles I could have gone with (especially around Halloween) but I settled on a niche but most interesting idea

Quote: DeathbyMonkey @ 26th October 2020, 11:40 AM

Congrats King and Dantrobus. I was struggling with motivation this week and then I came across a story that was a joy to write a sketch about. The first line of the story?

Escaped self-cloning mutant crayfish created in experimental breeding programmes have invaded a Belgian cemetery.

I mean there were so many angles I could have gone with (especially around Halloween) but I settled on a niche but most interesting idea

Ha ha - glorious story! Good luck!

My two sketches are off, both a bit rushed and under-baked as ever. One on the US Elections and one sort of about Covid, but actually about misty-eyed nostalgia for the 'blitz spirit'.

I managed 2 sketches this week, probably 2 of the better ones I've written for NJ... one about Halloween and one about Nicola Sturgeon. I'm sure there will be a lot of Halloween sketches but hey ho.

Good luck one and all, on to the one-liners...

Phew - full set of oneliners submitted (though one BN and one GWBW were referencing the same story). All done for another series.

I aso included one that involved breaking into song. As skram talked about on the other thread, NJ seem to like those for some reason - felt very grubby submitting one of my own!

I am just turning up to wish you all good luck. I completely forgot today was a Tuesday until about 5 minutes ago. Where is my head at?

Quote: Dantrobus @ 27th October 2020, 10:56 AM

I aso included one that involved breaking into song. As skram talked about on the other thread, NJ seem to like those for some reason - felt very grubby submitting one of my own!

they also love gags about musicians where the punchline is a line from one of their hits.

GOLD - always believe in your soul. . . .

Quote: TheKingLobotomy @ 27th October 2020, 11:59 PM

they also love gags about musicians where the punchline is a line from one of their hits.

Yeah they really do - by that point, I'm normally gibbering, "but...that's not a punchline, that's just one of their lyrics. Oh I don't get this show at all" to myself.

Quote: Wishus @ 27th October 2020, 2:57 PM

I am just turning up to wish you all good luck. I completely forgot today was a Tuesday until about 5 minutes ago. Where is my head at?

Thank you! It's 2020, where the days have lost all meaning!

Quote: Dantrobus @ 28th October 2020, 7:20 AM

Yeah they really do - by that point, I'm normally gibbering, "but...that's not a punchline, that's just one of their lyrics. Oh I don't get this show at all" to myself.

I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Quote: TheKingLobotomy @ 27th October 2020, 11:59 PM

GOLD - always believe in your soul. . . .

I now feel like I missed a trick this series not putting something in about Cliff getting a living doll for his birthday - I can just hear the team now singing the chorus a la Ade Edmondson as Vyvyan

( Although whether NJ would want to perform material about Cliff, I'm not so sure )

Good luck to you all.

I submitted 5 one liners this week. Rather last minute but was pleased to get something in.

I got the almost e-mail. I think that's 'close but no cigar' for the fourth series in a row.

Quote: DeathbyMonkey @ 26th October 2020, 11:40 AM

Sounds fun

Quote: GAP1 @ 29th October 2020, 7:47 PM

I got the almost e-mail. I think that's 'close but no cigar' for the fourth series in a row.

Very good going.

Well done/unlucky, GAP1.

I got a good email - really very pleased indeed.

Well done Dantrobus, hit the target