Things that piss you off Page 1,790

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 23rd October 2020, 2:03 PM

LED lamps do have some disadvantages.
The light is very harsh and has to be diffused.
The cheaper lamps can pulse 50 times a second.
If you have a dimmer switch, normal LED's will not dim (infact, a dimmer will destroy them)
You have to buy dimmable lamps and they are expensive.
If the lamp is going to be seen ie bare bulb. Buy the more expensive ones - they have a better diffuse coating. If they are going with lampshades, the shade will diffuse the light.

Well, I'm sitting directly under one now and am most impressed with the white light with no harshness.

What's the significance of pulsing a 50 times a second? Induces mild epilepsy?

Not that is likely to bother you....but it's possible to get what is called the stroboscopic effect.
It can make spinning things appear to be stationary. (Which can be dangerous)
Our electricity supply runs at 50Hz so the cheap leds flash at that rate.

If you are a hobbyist with a lathe or machinery in your shed, a chuck or anything spinning at multiples of 50 rps will appear to be stood still.
If you have a battery drill, slowly speed it up with the trigger and when you approach 25rps you will see it appear to slow down then stop

Yes, that's always fascinated me when you see high speed machinery "frozen" so they can see what is going on.

See a lot of that on the TV prog. "How It's Made", and again am amazed at the speed some of these automatic machines knock things out at a mind bobbling rate!

RIGHT! I REALLY AM PISSED OFF!!!!

My Facebook account has been hacked. Somebody has changed the email address and Facebook is worse than useless in trying to sort it out. Basically I can't get back in. It's all mechanised messages.

Maybe it's not such a bad thing because I do waste a lot of time on there.

Quote: Chappers @ 23rd October 2020, 8:58 PM

RIGHT! I REALLY AM PISSED OFF!!!!

My Facebook account has been hacked. Somebody has changed the email address and Facebook is worse than useless in trying to sort it out. Basically I can't get back in. It's all mechanised messages.

Maybe it's not such a bad thing because I do waste a lot of time on there.

At the risk of being told 'obviously i have'.

If someone has hacked your Facebook - check and change ALL your other passwords ASAP.

Someone once hacked into my FB acc**t and started hassling my ''''''''''friends'''''''''', by a strange coincidence only the females. but I was smart. I told him to f**k off.

The fact that next year I will probably earn the grand total of about £50 interest on all my savings

The Cash ISA is now a total waste of time

Quote: lofthouse @ 25th October 2020, 12:27 PM

The fact that next year I will probably earn the grand total of about £50 interest on all my savings

The Cash ISA is now a total waste of time

I realised that years ago, and despite advice to the contrary on places like Money Supermarket, I started to invest in Premium Bonds and am now getting a far better rate of return on my money than a cash ISA and probably a stocks and shares ISA, which involves risk of course, especially in the current climate.

Yeah I've looked at those

So have you won much??

Never won a big one sadly, but get regular £25 or 2 x £25 and once £100, which is FAR better than I get off the three cash ISAs I have. Certainly paid off for me.

In the past three tax years I have won £750, £675 & £575. And £225 7/12 through the current one. Of course it depends how much you invest. And the decreasing interest rate will affect how much is made available for prizes.

Thanks chaps

It used to be reckoned (very rough guide!) that if you held £30,000 if PBs, you should win at least £25 per month and, of course, there's always the chance that it "could be you" for the big one, but not f**king likely. ;)

I'm certainly happy with my winnings.

Joke theft. I'm not joking. With this virusy thing going around I've been doing a lot of on-line stuff and I can't believe how many times I've spotted old jokes, even in winning entries. Gets my proverbial goat. What's the point doing a comp if you're just grave-robbing? We might as well all just Google. And where's the challenge and satisfaction if it's someone else's stuff?
My name's Ben Elton, goodnight.

When people go on Facebook and say, 'I've been through my friends list, and if you haven't been in touch for a year, you're off.' If someone doesn't get in touch with you for a year, not even on Facebook, they're not gonna give a f**k either way are they? You arrogant, self-obsessed, beyond deluded little prick.