A particularly funny Fry and Laurie sketch Page 2

My favourite double-act by a long chalk and, believe me, my chalk is very long. There was a great pace to it: vox pop short sketches, longer sketches, and the musical ending was genius. You can buy the scripts of a bit of Fry and Laurie - a great read.

Quote: zooo @ March 2, 2008, 11:30 AM

I don't think there could ever be anyone as good at writing sketches as they are.

I think so too. So many gems.
When Hugh appeared on QI I thought it was nice to see them together again, I wonder if that was a foreshadowing? I hope so.

I doubt it whilst Hugh is still working on the punishing schedule that's involved in producing 'House'. Perhaps at some point they could at least get together for a special one-off? On my wish-list.

Heh he class, this one's got to be one of my all time favs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPuofA3hqt8

Fry and Laurie are definately underated

You know, that is a really good call. I used to absolutely love Fry and Laurie. I'm going to acquire some of their stuff and study it. Brilliant example of how to write comedy.

Thanks for the idea!

Interestingly the other day, whilst Hugh Laurie was complaining that since he's been in 'House' British TV producers have turned their backs on him, he commented that he's "absolutely love to do anything" with Stephen (I presume he meant showbiz-related).

I'm sure zooo will take it (oo eck!) either way!

But yeah, would definitely be nice to see them back together again. :)

You know, you're right, and I didn't even realise it until it was brought up. When I think about it, they almost snook under the radar back then. So underrated. One of the last truly great sketch shows, on a par with Big Train, and certainly better than something like the more popular Fast Show.

A great double act and as iconically British (in my mind) as Reeves and Mortimer.

Their contributions to the legend of BlackAdder are also as underrated.

thanks to the original poster, I'll be tracking down what I can of them.

On Matthew Stott's recommendation, I got hold of the collection of their scripts. It's great!

Fry and Laurie are amazing. When you watch them now it doesn't even seem particularly dated. Their humour is so modern and still unique. I love them.
Definitely up there with Reeves & Mortimer.

Quote: SlagA @ March 17, 2008, 8:57 PM

A great double act and as iconically British (in my mind) as Reeves and Mortimer.

Far above R&M.

I gather from that you haven't seen any...
:)

Quote: SlagA @ March 17, 2008, 8:57 PM

thanks to the original poster, I'll be tracking down what I can of them.

All four series' of A Bit of Fry and Laurie are available on DVD. :)

See Amazon product listing

Quote: zooo @ March 17, 2008, 9:29 PM

I gather from that you haven't seen any...
:)

I have. Not for quite a while admittedly, but I just think Fry and Laurie are superior.

I do like R&M; some of their stuff does make me laugh exceptionally loud, but I have to side with Fry and Laurie. Their work is technically brilliant. Anything 'surreal' is always a little dubious as regards the amount of talent involved.

Also, one of the great Fry and Laurie voxpops is:

"We had a baby on the NHS and had to wait 9 months! Can you believe it?!"

Genius.

Quote: Winterlight @ March 18, 2008, 11:10 AM

Also, one of the great Fry and Laurie voxpops is:

"We had a baby on the NHS and had to wait 9 months! Can you believe it?!"

Laughing out loud