Greatest episode of Steptoe and Son Page 5

Just watching a favourite episode of mine, Men of letters.
It's priceless, the scrabble game and the parish magazine article, brilliant stuff.

Me too, many supposed favourites were too contrived.

Just seen Divided We Stand on Drama: it's priceless.
What strikes me about Harold, he's a hypocrite, here he appears pretentious in his clothes, sitting in his half of the house. While in other episodes he makes out he's a working class hero.

The Desperate Hours for me, Wilfred. Harry and the great Leonard Rossiter, magnificent.

I agree BO.
Apparently Leonard's appearance made Harry do some real acting :)

:D Apparently he didn't get along with Francis de la Tour as she kept making mistakes. Was a bit of a perfectionist, our Mr Rossiter.

Mr Rigsby ...will you kindly extinguish your stick!

But that's for another thread :)

Quote: BO2307 @ 11th October 2020, 12:52 AM

The Desperate Hours for me, Wilfred. Harry and the great Leonard Rossiter, magnificent.

Yes, superb episode, and I think I've mentioned this before - J.G. Devlin, who played the Irish old boy escapee with Leonard Rossiter, was originally up for Wilfrid Brambell's part.
Not a lot of people know that...............

Divided We Stand is my favourite love it. A total classic. Desperate Hours is a close 2nd and the Seance episode is a close 3rd for me with Patricia Routledge.

'Full House' is a true fav and holds a special significance. I started enjoying Steptoe at 11yrs old, as would watch it with my Grandad, along with Norman Wisdom films. 'Full House' was on a VHS he had, which we enjoyed watching many a time. I've always loved the first half where Harold brings home cheese and Albert rejects to him entertaining a night of gambling at the house.

A: I'm talking about being taken advantage of, making a convenience of my house. You should have asked me! You should have asked me if I mind

H: Alright. Father, have you any objections to me inviting a few friends 'round here for the night?

A: Yes I have.

H: Well HARD LUCK, 'cause they're coming!

Desperate Hours gets my vote as well.

There's a line in it where Albert responds to the younger men's ageist jokes and comments by telling them they won't find it so funny when they get old.

Of course, neither Corbett nor Rossiter would see sixty.