Newsjack Series 23 - September 2020 Page 5

Quote: Thief Of Bad Gags @ 2nd October 2020, 11:45 AM

Hiya, here are my two gags for yesterday's Newsjack. I'm still learning the ropes, no pressure.

Sri Lanka says it is sending 21 containers of recycled waste back to the UK after they were found to contain hazardous material. It was returned to the sender, head of policy at 10 Downing Street.

One hundred million UK birds are now in Lockdown and the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds have imposed a 10pm Curlew to stop the spread of Coronavirus.

Hi
There is a rejects thread where you may possibly get feedback. Though it is a tad quiet this series....warning, I am the main person providing feedback at present.

Hiya, here are my two gags for yesterday's Newsjack. I'm still learning the ropes, no pressure.

Sri Lanka says it is sending 21 containers of recycled waste back to the UK after they were found to contain hazardous material. It was returned to the sender, head of policy at 10 Downing Street.

One hundred million UK birds are now in Lockdown and the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds have imposed a 10pm Curlew to stop the spread of Coronavirus.

Good luck with your writing this week. Just added a bit of feedback on a few oneliners including your birds one - see the other thread https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/post/1226469/

Quote: Dantrobus @ 3rd October 2020, 8:18 AM

Good luck with your writing this week. Just added a bit of feedback on a few oneliners including your birds one - see the other thread https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/post/1226469/

Hi there Dantrobus, thanks for this... I was not criticising the lack of feedback from others. Just did not want to raise hopes on quality feedback as I was the main one doing it at the time! Your feedback is great.
I haven't any rejects to post but felt like the rejects up there were sitting there with little attention so I had a read of them.

Number 1 ...possible tweak...Sri Lanka's sending 21 containers of hazardous waste back to the UK as they were found to contain hazardous material. The containers were labelled 'return to sender, head of policy, 10 Downing Street '.

As Danrobus said in the rejects section, good to use a real story or hook the birds thing on to a real story in some way.

Quote: BTF @ 3rd October 2020, 11:06 AM

Hi there Dantrobus, thanks for this... I was not criticising the lack of feedback from others. Just did not want to raise hopes on quality feedback as I was the main one doing it at the time!

No worries, I didn't take it as a criticism at all. Was just waiting for the right time to get in there with my own feedback. The right time, of course, is when I'm procrastinating over my own writing.

Thank you BFT and Dantrobus for your feedback. Will take your feedback on board for future news gags. Its is difficult and with a deadline I have to let it go. I am learning and I feel there is no pressure to get on Newsjack at this moment in time, but I wish you all the best.

Quote: Thief Of Bad Gags @ 3rd October 2020, 5:38 PM

Thank you BFT and Dantrobus for your feedback. Will take your feedback on board for future news gags. Its is difficult and with a deadline I have to let it go. I am learning and I feel there is no pressure to get on Newsjack at this moment in time, but I wish you all the best.

Thank you.

Quote: Thief Of Bad Gags @ 3rd October 2020, 5:38 PM

You're welcome. All the best to you too!

Congrats on everyone who got a credit so far.

My hopes are high this week, every series I write one sketch which I know is dynamite. I will honestly by a little bit heartbroken if this one doesn't even make the script...

Now for the second sketch

Quote: DeathbyMonkey @ 4th October 2020, 5:41 PM

Congrats on everyone who got a credit so far.

My hopes are high this week, every series I write one sketch which I know is dynamite. I will honestly by a little bit heartbroken if this one doesn't even make the script...

Now for the second sketch

Good luck!

I've just sent off my two sketchy babies. Wouldn't say they were dynamite by any stretch but definitely the best stuff I've written so far this series, and for once I'm not pinning all my hopes on a kindly script editor fixing all the problems. I was able to spend a bit more time on them than usual so got to fix some of my own problems!

Good luck to this weeks sketchers

Yes good luck all. I actually squeezed a bit of time to do a sketch. Allocated 10.20 to 11 to think of it and 11 to 12 to write it which tells you a lot about the sketch. Didn't have time to stick in a news link but whatever. Just too busy at moment to give much more. At least I won't feel disappointed when it doesn't get on. Plus I have not even made time to listen to the show yet which is bad. So my sketch is probably a duplicate topic/subject. It was a TOWIE one as my daughter is obsessed with the series and it is therefore a bigger part of my life than I would like!

My usual 3 and 2 submitted - often struggle with a third gwbw, and maybe been a bit too twitteresque with a oneliner, but fingers crossed...

best of luck for episode three

Yeah, after not having time for sketches last week and only 5 one-liners, I managed to do the full set of sketches and one-liners this week.
Although I realised a bit too late that one of the sketches really just wasn't funny :-D. I was fairly keen on the other one, but something similar is probably going to be done by a lot of people. But we can only cross our fingers.

I'd love to get a sketch on...I've only ever managed with one-liners.
Out of interest, those who've got on the show...do you do better with sketches or one-liners?

Good luck everyone! Remember, if you don't get anything this week, you have another half of the show left to not get anything on.

I'd love to know how the submission numbers are for this series - whether many people who would be otherwise at work and aren't ( or are home based ) are finding they have more time to try and write stuff. Don't know where other people live, but where I am able the weekend weather was pretty desperate - an ideal time to sit in and fine tune a sketch

I was very short for time this week, no sketches and only 3 breaking news - not holding out much hope!