The Goon Show Page 3

One of the classics this week with Tales of Men's Shirts, which gave Sellers the opportunity to do his brilliant German officer and at the end, in the "alternative" ending, the breathy Cynthia.

Courtesy of The Goon Show site :-

German:
Achtung, gentlemen! Be seated. We must have a halt on our war memoirs and go to war! Our scientists have just invented a liquid that will win de war. This chemical, when applied to the tail of a miltary soldier shirt, is tasteless, colourless, and odourless.

Second German:
What good is that on the tail of a shirt, hein?

German:
The moment the wearer sits down, the heat from his body causes the chemical to hexplode. This way, the soldier will be neutralized.

Second German:
He'll be worse than that.

Third German:
Is einer wonderschon, Gerhimmeler!

German:
Speak English, you fool. There are no sub-titles in this scene. Now zen, this is my plan of attack.

Second German:
It looks like a nail.

German:
No, it's a tack. Ho ho ho ho. Thank you. Who said we Germans haven't a sense of humour?

Second German:
Just about everybody, I tink.

THEN at the end

FX:
[Door opens]

Seagoon:
Cynthia? Cynthia darling, it's me, Tom.

Cynthia:
Oh Tom darling! You're back!

Seagoon:
Yes, I brought it with me. Cynthia, I've been a fool about you.

Cynthia:
Don't say that, darling.

Seagoon:
This parcel, it's... It's for you.

Cynthia:
Is it? What is it, Tom?

FX:
[Unwrapping]

Seagoon:
Darling, this thing is bigger than both of us.

Cynthia:
Oh, Tom, it's... It's an elephant!

Seagoon:
Yes. I'm not waiting any longer, we're getting married tonight.

Greenslade:
And so, that night, Neddie Seagoon married an elephant. Good night.

"The Silver Dubloons" this week....................

An even more madcap half hour (if that's poss.) with crazy plot and lots of going off script and giggling, especially from Harry. And, the inclusion of the excellent "The Man in Black" Valentine Dyall, who was bought in (not often enough IMO) whenever they needed someone to play a sinister part and have the voice for it, which he did in spades!

Needless to say - very funny.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/35215/

HOORAY!! IT'S BACK on Radio 4+

This week "The Greatest Mountain In The World"

Excellent, especially the "impromptu" singalong at the start that had no relationship to the story.

Very funny and very enjoyable.

The Silent Bugler

Not one of the well known ones, but VERY funny and never fails to have me laughing out loud.

There's one brilliant joke where Neddy has to guess what Eccles is holding up (like with a lot of their stuff you could only do this on radio) and when he gets to the last item you can hear Eccles struggling with it and him barely able to say "Quick, say what it is"............"Hurry" as Neddy ponders..................won't say what it is but the outcome has me in hysterics every time without fail.

God, that radio show was good, and an extra treat this week with Ray Ellington's piano player giving a solo performance, and man could he play the Joanna!!

Ray had some lines too sometimes didn't he?
I never enjoyed the Max Geldray interludes,they brought everything to a grinding halt.

Yes he did - more than usual, and Max Geldray has lines sometimes, but he is so wooden. I don't mind his music interlude though as he is a very good harmonica player and it gives "the crew" time to "go round the back for some of that old brandy, there". :D

Who was it that had the gender reassignment?

Quote: Chappers @ 31st October 2019, 9:29 PM

That was Wally Stott, who, as well as working on later series of The Goon Show, also wrote the theme tune and other music for Hancock's Half Hour.

Quote: Chappers @ 31st October 2019, 9:29 PM

Wally Stott AKA Angela Morley

I am over the moon! For years the only recording I had of "The Macreekie Rising of '74" was the heavily edited version taken from when it was released on vinyl, BUT NOW Radio 4+ has broadcast it in full.
I am a VERY, VERY happy bunny
:D:D:D

Surprisingly, Milligan wasn't in this and so Secombe and Sellers took his parts (and very well too) and the whole thing was added to by the very funny Scottish jazz trombonist George (Mc) Chisholm...................

Clan Chief (Sellers) Red Hairy McLegs:
"Ooorrr neei, or nei, oorr. Ma hairies, ma brave hairies! The great hairy caber of the clan MacReekie, symbol of Scottish power and manhood, has been stolen by the reeking non-hairy sassenach English!"

Cast:
"Ooorrrr, McRhubarb, McRhubarb, McNo, McNo, McRhubarb and custard!"

Red Hairy McLegs:
"Tonight we march north to England!"

Neddy Seagoon:
"But England's south"

Red Hairy McLegs:
"Aye, we're was going to march right round the world and sneak up on them from behind! Forward the MacReekies!!"

Laughing out loud

That's interesting.I thought perhaps Eric Sykes had written it if Spike wasn't there..Looked about 4extra.Apparently not.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 29th September 2020, 3:39 PM

[i][b]I am over the moon! For years the only recording I had of "The Macreekie Rising of '74" was the heavily edited version taken from when it was released on vinyl, BUT NOW Radio 4+ has broadcast it in full.

Strewth mate, if you're ever short of full versions of any other episodes, let me know. I've got two to three versions of most episodes from the 5th series onward. Usually original transmission recording or foreign transcription version, then shorter versions cut by the BBC over the years (plus some restored/found versions have been released over the past decade), Nothing worse than hearing a crisp, clean, recent BBC release, only to discover that lines have been cut by some imbecile collecting a salary to commit cultural vandalism. BBC might as well send its censors to Afghanistan to join the Taliban in blowing up old statues.

Quote: Kenneth @ 2nd October 2020, 1:44 PM

Strewth mate, if you're ever short of full versions of any other episodes, let me know. I've got two to three versions of most episodes from the 5th series onward. Usually original transmission recording or foreign transcription version, then shorter versions cut by the BBC over the years (plus some restored/found versions have been released over the past decade), Nothing worse than hearing a crisp, clean, recent BBC release, only to discover that lines have been cut by some imbecile collecting a salary to commit cultural vandalism. BBC might as well send its censors to Afghanistan to join the Taliban in blowing up old statues.

Thank you, but I think I'm pretty much covered now what with reel to reel, cassettes and CDs, and having a friend (now sadly departed) who had one of the first tape recorders available in the UK and recorded a lot off the radio way back.

The other one on that edited vinyl LP "Goon Again" was 'China Story', and I'm glad to say BBC4+ repeated that in full earlier in this latest series.

And along the lines you have hinted at, it's noticeable that just before they play the episode they sometimes** say "As this recording is 50/60 years old there are some outdated words and attitudes that may upset some listeners", and this applies to HHH as well!

**Makes me wonder if some oik is listening to each one before it is broadcast to see which one has "offensive" language. FFS!! Angry