Katherine Ryan's The Duchess

I loved this. An exaggeration of her stage persona, loads of one liners in the back and forth between the characters and by the end you really care about Katherine and her daughter, which is even more surprising after she made herself a pretty unlikable character.

Wanted to like it more. Ryan's a major talent. I think some of the acting lets it down a bit though.

I'm a big fan of Katherine so I really liked it but I did find that at times it was too crude when it didn't need to be. However, I enjoyed it all the same and binged all six episodes in one evening and would happily welcome a Series 2 with open arms. Also great to see cameo appearances from Doon Mackichan and Maya Jama.

She met Michelle De Swarte on Dirty Digest, apparently.

Michelle De Swarte is also a model. Maybe Katherine wanted to point out she's currently the top, really good looking, funny woman ? She can't act though. Do you think Kate Moss might turn up doing some slap stick ? They need Jonny Vegas and Dawn French, those two can act. This is funny though, love the guy on the boat.

Absolutely LOVED this!!! Finished watching the series last night and can't wait for series two :)

I enjoyed it a lot. Katy Byrne as Olive was quite marvellous. I do thoroughly hope there's a second series.

Huh? Funny, all these years I thought a sitcom was something else, until all these stand ups put us right. What the hell was all that stuff I watched in the past then? :( Oh well, these modern stand ups are super confident types, they must be the ones who are right. :)

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 27th September 2020, 9:51 AM

Huh? Funny, all these years I thought a sitcom was something else, until all these stand ups put us right. What the hell was all that stuff I watched in the past then? :( Oh well, these modern stand ups are super confident types, they must be the ones who are right. :)

Well sitcoms are generally scripts written to generate laughs. The Duchess made me laugh a lot. Job done.

...On you, not me then. It's all down to tastes I suppose. Am I alone in thinking these shows should have a different label? Just so people know that when they come home after work to wind down in front of the telly, they know what to put on without being disappointed or confused. Nothing at all wrong with liking narrative comedy vehicles for successful Stand Ups based on an ongoing soap style narrative with added humour and adult content to add to their portfolio of panel shows and live audience show DVDs if that's your thing.

But what if you'd just like a an old fashioned prime time trad style studio sitcom with good actors playing the parts of real 'characters' in self contained little funny stories with genuinely funny endings, the way it was once very successfully done? Where do you go these days, except the nostalgia channels? Because if you go by the sitcom schedule now you tend to get this stuff. :(

Sad to hear this has been cancelled. Apparently ten million viewers isn't enough to renew. How can any new sitcom survive under that stress!

Whoever knew that streaming is not the answer?

I'm watching S1 Ep1 at the moment, I am finding Ms Ryan just too much to bear.